1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 13, 1995

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake from State Farm, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

It was an interesting work environment, to say the least
    When we returned, we became an open shop
    As such, we had to recruit people to join the Guild
    Many of the replacement workers did

2. How does that work?
    I take it they also never paid membership/guild dues?
    But once someone joins the profession, can they legally be kept from joining a union?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know all of the particulars, but I know he wasn't allowed to join the union, and, for example, wasn't included in MLB video games, which were licensed by the union.

4. YankeeFan

So, Albom went back after seven weeks?

I know a lot of people aren't fans of his, but I haven't heard this given as a reason.

The 124 Guild members who crossed the picket lines at The Free Press before the ultimatum had been joined by only one other as of today. But he was a significant one: Mitch Albom, a sports columnist who is probably the newspaper's best known and most popular writer.

Mr. Albom began his column about the strike today with one word: "Enough." He wrote that he would remain a member of the Guild and "give much of what I earn to the people still on strike."

But, Mr. Albom said in an interview, "Newspapers are fire stations, they are police stations, and they should not be shut down."

Mr. Albom, who tried to broker an agreement that would return strikers to work during negotiations, said that he thought both sides in the dispute were wrong and that he did not want to be seen as supporting either. "I didn't want to be waved as a flag," he said.

After 7 Weeks, Detroit Newspaper Strike Takes a Violent Turn

lakefront likes this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I can't remember which poster it was, but someone here often referred to Albom as a scab.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Reliever Brendan Donnelly was a replacement for the Angels in their World Series season and he remained on the team after the dispute was settled. He was not allowed to join the union, he did not get any money from licensed merchandise sales and was not allowed to be in the official team photo. I don't remember if he got a normal share of postseason money, but I guess he probably did.

7. YankeeFan

Rick Reed and Kevin Millar were the two guys who I remember going ton to have good -- or at least long -- careers.

Looking at the lsit now, I see Shane Spencer is on it too, along with a couple of other guys that stuck around.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Had a "Shane Spencer moment" a few years ago. A friend of mine was coaching with Modesto (Rockies organization) in the Cal League. Went to meet up with him at Lake Elsinore. He was the hitting coach and also first base coach. We sat in the first row so we could chat between innings. Spencer was the first base coach for Lake Elsinore. Recognized his name and looked him up. I asked my friend if he knew him. They had met but weren't friends. I asked if he knew Spencer was a replacement. He just shrugged. Didn't matter.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Ugh.

10. YankeeFan

I thought you might like that.

He was way ahead of Katy Tur.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Few things lower than being a scab.

12. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Newspapers are NOT fire stations or police stations because they're not taxpayer funded. Although they do serve a public service, they're not the same. Newspaper owners are out for the best profit — until they run it into the ground, that is.

And if I recall in 'Tuesdays With Morrie,' Albom refers to the strike in his book as he made his weekly treks to see his mentor. Album wrote books and had an ESPN gig. He's not hurting.

Draft saved Draft deleted