1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Durango Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MMABuff, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MMABuff

MMABuff New Member

I'm looking for a new sports reporter here at The Durango Herald in southwest Colorado. It's a great mountain town for an outdoors-minded person.

It's also a solid sports town with three high schools that routinely compete for state championships, a Division II college with great basketball and soccer teams and numerous Olympic athletes and professional cyclists in the area.

The job is mostly reporting and writing. Design skills are a plus but not mandatory. Of course, you must be willing to work nights and weekends.

We print four days a week these days, but I treat it as a daily operation with a great online following. Ballantine Communications is a family-owned company with three newspapers in the region. The benefits are great, including hot springs passes, a gym membership, an HSA match, 401K and all the other good stuff.

Like any mountain town, it costs a little more to live here than some spots around the country, but the pay is also better than most places.

Here's a link: Durango Herald jobs

I Should Coco and Kinney60 like this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I will second MMA's endorsement of how awesome the Durango area is ... have family there and it's always great to visit.

You'd better know your mountain biking and skiing.

Sounds like a solid gig in a cool Western town ... good luck!

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was just down there Fourth of July week and I've been going to the area for 40-plus years after my grandparents retired to the west of there. Lots of family still down there and it's a great town. Not easy to get to Denver but that part the most scenic part of the state.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How expensive is Durango? My brother loves it, wants to move there, but says he can not afford it.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's a destination place in the mountains. Not cheap. Certainly the golf wasn't the week of July 4 when I was down there.

Draft saved Draft deleted