1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I was going to say Rocky Colavito, but he was a nine-time All-Star. Maybe the most ASG not in the HOF.

Colavito was the last AL position player to be credited with a win until Chris Davis in 2012.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I was referring to your statement about nobody making distinctions between a five or six time all-star, not just a single selection.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

They better not try to put Rocky in after he's dead.

“I told my family that, ‘If they vote me in after I’m dead, you tell ‘em for me to stick it up their ass.' That’s what I told my family and I meant it. It ain’t going to do me any good when I’m dead.”

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Still, who is saying 5 isn't enough? There are so many potential caveats either way ("he played when there were two all-star games", "each team had to have a player", "the position sucked", "the position was loaded", "his career was built on longevity", "his value wasn't in stats that voters recognized", etc.) If people want to get a player in the Hall of Fame one all-star selection isn't going to make the difference.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I disagree. You take walks because you don't have pitches you can hit. I had no problem with what Murphy said.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Saw this in a Facebook group chat and found it interesting. While the Braves have -- and the Rangers will soon -- move into a third ballpark in about 20-25 years, the Athletics have only played in four home ballparks, in three cities, since the franchise was born in 1901.

Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum (1968–present)
    Municipal Stadium (1955–1967)
    Shibe Park (1909–1954)
    Columbia Park (1901–1908)

Batman and maumann like this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Bill Freehan played in 11 for the AL in an era when offense was in short supply, particularly among backstops, and he was extremely durable. Along with Norm Cash, Willie Horton, Dick McAuliffe and Mickey Lolich, the 1968 champs have the Hall of Very Good covered.

Bill Freehan: The Most All-Star Appearances for a Non-Hall of Fame Player

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Who are the best players never to make an All-Star team?

In SoCal we pick Kirk Gibson, Eric Karros and Tim Salmon.

maumann likes this.
  12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You take walks because walks are positive outcomes and help your team score runs. So are singles through the empty side of the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.