1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Virginia University/Big 12 beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by AllanTaylor, Jun 14, 2018.

1. AllanTaylor

AllanTaylor New Member

WVMetroNews.com and The Dominion Post newspaper in Morgantown, W.Va., seek an aggressive, innovative beat writer to cover West Virginia University football. We want an effective storyteller who’s adept at source-building in order to break news and develop enterprise pieces that keep fans engaged year-round.

Successful applicants can contextualize trends that impact the Big 12 and D-I athletics. This reporter will take a secondary role on Mountaineers basketball coverage and other Olympic sports.

On-camera opportunities exist to connect with a passionate fan base, and you’ll be a guest on the MetroNews daily lineup of statewide talk shows.

Approaching our 80th anniversary, we're a profitable, privately owned media company excited to strengthen our statewide market command and amplify solid journalism by merging broadcast, digital and print resources.

EXPERIENCE/SKILL REQUIREMENTS
    • At least 2 years experience covering a college or pro sports beat, though we’d love to hear from veteran journalists who have been impacted by layoffs in other newsrooms

• Capable of moving beyond traditional game stories to provide analysis

• Public records and data reporting is a plus

• Producing clean, compelling copy on tight deadlines

• Capable of shooting photos/video for social media

• Schedule flexibility to work deep nights and weekends

• Frequent travel required

Please send resume, salary requirements, and links for five writing samples to Allan Taylor at ataylor@wvmetronews.com.

We aim to ID the right candidate before the start of preseason camp.

WVMetroNews and The Dominion Post are part of West Virginia Radio Corp., which offers 401K retirement plan, paid vacation, medical and dental insurance and relocation assistance. WVMetroNews is an equal opportunity employer.

TVenegas likes this.
  2. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Covering Huggins would be entertaining, for sure!

3. MetroNews and DP is a good outfit. This is a great opportunity. ...
    When you negotiate benefits, see if you can work in a few free rounds and Pikewood National. And, You can use me as a reference if I can play 18 holes.

4. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Any update on this one? Anyone received interview request yet? Has it been filled?

5. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Generally speaking, can I just say how much I hate having to answer "salary requirements"? I find it offensive, and to be honest it should be nobody's business until the job offer comes.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Yep. Some trash.

7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

download (10).jpg

8. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

The Mountaineers gaining preseason attention, per latest poll.

Draft saved Draft deleted