1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregonian taking a lot of heat from readers for this one. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zachpm, Jun 8, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The weight we give to a finding of 'not guilty' is not the same weight we give to a finding of 'guilty.' You can have doubts about either, but by their nature the doubts are far less for one than the other. The difference is so great that they are not really equivalent.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

We’re not talking about someone being “found guilty” at all. We’re talking about a plea.

(We’re also so pointlessly deep in the weeds in a message board argument)

Doc Holliday likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do find it curious that Heimlich saying he agreed to the plea but still denies doing it is considered worse that if he admitted to doing it. So if he admitted to doing it, it would be fine if an MLB team signed him, but that he still denies it happened makes him ineligible for the MLB?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think that is true. The issue is that he plead guilty to molesting a very young child. I don't think a more public admission of guilt would help his cause. In fact, it would only make things worse for him.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I like this.

OJ did it. So did Heimlich. It's really not that hard to look at and see.

6. outofplace

Those are two vastly different situations. You don't know about Heimlich. It's that simple. The rest is you covering for at least one really awful argument you made and a lot of other stuff that doesn't really hold up.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I haven't covered up anything I've said. He did it. His performance shows he couldn't handle all the eyes and ears staring and listening to him. He was dominant the entire season in his comfort zone. He got in front of the nation, out of his comfort zone, and couldn't take it. I wonder why?

Tells me all I need to know. His teammates sure didn't fold up under the pressure.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This has been a fucking fantastic meeting of the minds. Not quite the Making a Murderer thread, but quality nonetheless.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Depends on your definition of quality I guess.

A spectacle, for sure.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tells me all I need to know. His teammates sure didn't fold up under the pressure.

Nick Madrigal, the No. 4 pick in the MLB draft, was oh-fer in the finals. Folded under pressure. What's he covering up?

Florida State was a top-8 seed, but went 0-2 AT HOME in its regional. Folded under pressure. What were they covering up?

Arkansas hit .145 or so in the finals. Three players gagged a chance to catch an easy popup and win the national title, then the team got 2-hit by a freshman in the title game. Folded under pressure. What are they covering up?

Colombia was two PKs away from advancing to the quarterfinals in the World Cup. Missed twice.

Stuff happens.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. outofplace

It tells you all you need to know because you made up your mind well ahead of time and you are happy to twist the details to fit your version of reality. In no way is his ugly performance in one game evidence of his guilt. Sadly, Dickie isn't here to tell you about the stupidity of basing things on small sample sizes.

He could have folded under pressure just as easily if he was an innocent man and you would know it if you were capable of being reasonable on this topic.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

1. Having “gal” in his last name? Got nothing.
    2. Crab legs.
    3. Whitewater
    4. Drugs

Draft saved Draft deleted