1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Amazing Race -- All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Sep 28, 2012.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'll be in the pool again when the time comes, but I really wish they wouldn't keep recycling all these reality-TV personalities, as if people like them. Because most of the time, they actually don't (although I'm sure that's a factor, too).

Regardless, once they've been on, I've seen enough of them, and I'd much rather have new, unknown people competing. I find it much more interesting, and going with previously aired, already known people just seems like lazy casting to me.

bumpy mcgee and Iron_chet like this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Here are the teams. I'll need to see faces as I don't recognize most of the names. And why does CBS think anyone wants more Rupert?

Amazing Race season 31 teams: a ‘reality clash’ of TAR vs. Big Brother vs. Survivor

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

BECCA AND FLOYDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

hate this kind of casting. I always thought Rupert was an annoying, sanctimonious, self serving douche who was a fucking idiot to boot. Building a dugout on a beach for shelter?

Hopefully is eliminated right away.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I'm stunned Rachel was able to find the time to be available for another season. :rolleyes:

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

TAR isn't as character driven as Survivor or Big Brother (I assume, never seen it). The last couple of seasons were good in part because there were no big personalities.

I'm pulling for Art and JJ because they are from my community. I attended one of their viewing parties for an article the last time they were on.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That’s a great Survivor group. Eliza and Corinne are ruthless and will be great (unless they go overboard playing to their reputations, which is possible.)

Bret and Chris are hilarious. Not sure how that choice can go wrong. They’ll be fantastic, an A+ choice. The only drawback is they’re not huge Survivor names for causal fans and neither won or almost won their season (Chris was early jury and Bret was 5th or so and last of his alliance, but never a threat.) but they’re awesome and loud and fun. Can’t wait.

And Rupert and Laura are, at this point, unintentionally hilarious because I agree they suck. Rupert sucks so much and Laura is perfect for him. She’s so boring. But they suck enough that I’m looking forward to seeing them again, if that makes sense. They’ll be awful and it will be delicious.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

COLIN AND CHRISTIE?!?!?!?!?

MR. MY OX IS BROKEN IS BACK?!

Excited to see Becca and Floyd get a second chance though.

Tyler and Korey were one of the YouTubers from the influencer season. Leo and Jamal are the Afghanimals (you either loved them or you hated them). Art & JJ apparently came in second but I cannot for the life of me place them.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

YankeeFan - No, I wasn't aware of the thread. Truth be told, I don't spend nearly as much time around here as I used to - mainly just on this thread when the TAR seasons come around. I've been out of journalism for a few years now - went into government work.

Thank you all for the kind words. It'll be 10 years this fall, and I'm doing fine - so are my kids. They're adults now, and my granddaughter will be 1 later this month - time really marches on. The tough part will be trying to explain to my granddaughter when she's old enough what happened to grandma.

Here's an unusual twist - all this tied to a Bell's Palsy thread, and I had Bell's probably seven or eight years ago. The doc put me on some steroids and it went away, but man, the whole thing was really weird. Nothing like having to use a straw to even drink out of a water bottle.

Again, thanks.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Spoiler alert: 'Amazing Race' films in Detroit; teams rappel down Guardian Building

The Guardian Building is stunningly beautiful. Man, I would have liked to have seen this, but I'm off this week. Oh, well ...

Oh, and for quick geographic perspective, the Guardian Building is across the street from the Spirit of Detroit Statue, which is across the street from Hart Plaza, which is along the Detroit River.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'll give a shout-out to Joey Chestnut, TAR Season 30 competitor (with Tim Janus) for winning the Nathan's Fourth of July hot-dog eating contest today.

Record-setting 74 hot dogs (and 22,200 calories) eaten in 10 minutes. On second thought, maybe congratulations are not in order!

Uggh, unbelievable. I cannot imagine not choking on, and chucking up, all that food...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted