1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer - Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JV37, Jun 30, 2018.

1. JV37

JV37 New Member

The Opelika-Auburn News has a longstanding tradition of nationally recognized sports coverage, having consistently been ranked as a national Top 10 sports team with APSE and various other honors. Our coverage area includes a rich prep scene that features 19 schools from small communities to big-time programs ripe each year for Division I college recruiting. We also go all-out in our coverage of Auburn University, which consistently ranks among the top college sports programs in the nation.

We are looking for a sportswriter who can help with our coverage of preps and Auburn while also being an effective desk manager who can work shifts in the office, take calls, work fast, and be a sharp editor when reviewing page proofs from our designers.

It's a fantastic sports scene for aspiring and proven sportswriters alike. Our next hire must be adept with digital and social media skills and understand what it means to be productive on a daily basis and capable of working with a sense of breaking-news urgency. Pre-employment background and drug screen required.

Email cover letter, resume and clips to sports@oanow[dot]com and apply online here.

2. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

See this one quite frequently.

3. JV37

JV37 New Member

There tends to be a lot of upward momentum from this sports desk. I've been the Auburn writer the past two years (PM me if you have any questions). The sports editor who hired me is now at the Detroit Free Press, and the sports editor who hired her is at the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Some of the Auburn and preps writers who came before me in the past few years have gone on to cover the Packers, Browns, Titans, Mississippi State and Auburn for bigger publications after just a few years here.

4. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

That may be the case, but this is still the fifth ad the past two years.

5. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

It is intriguing, though.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Thi$ i$ a good place to launch your career, but there’$ another reason there’$ a lot of turnover.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Fourteen years ago I saw a faxed application form from them on my machine and assumed one of our sportswriters who was from that part of the country had applied. (Turned out it was a mailroom employee.) Anyway, that shows you how long that upward mobility has existed. Could be a blessing and a curse.

8. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Auburn football is never a dull moment, for sure!

9. AndrettiSJ

AndrettiSJ Member

Couldn’t embed the tweet but still had also been filled by a guy named Justin Lee. Twitter @OAJustinLee. Left the Opelika paper for the Odessa American and is now returning.

Draft saved Draft deleted