1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“Where are the white players?” Said Oscar Robertson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jun 27, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Oscar Robertson wants to know: ‘Where are the white athletes’ in today’s politics?

Considering that the NBA is made up of about 20% of players who are white, and many of them are European. How many of the 1st 2nd or 3rd team All NBA in the last 5 years are White Americans?
    Oscar wants to know where the white players are, so do many right wing idiots. Also, if you’re not a star player, who is listening? Popovich and Kerr are outspoken, they are white, successful and therefore have a platform. Who is listening to the 11th guy on the bench, black or white? Considering Oscar said this at theNBA awards event and cited to LeBron James it is implicit that he talking about the white NBA players, not white players in general. Because I don’t know a player who has put his wallet where his mouth is like Chris Long.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Playing soccer and lacrosse.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In the old days, the older generation said who do you want to be Joe DiMaggio, or the guy who Joe DiMaggio works for?
    Or Shaq said something about being rich versus being wealthy. At the time he said he was rich, but the guy writing his checks was wealthy. Or something like that.

4. Steak Snabler

Kevin Love made 2nd team in 2014. David Lee was third team in 2013.

Depending on how you classify Steve Nash (Canadian or South African), those are the only white North Americans since John Stockton retired.

Unless I missed one:

Year-by-year All-NBA Teams | NBA.com

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought he was talking about athletes, not basketball players.

Vombatus likes this.
  6. Steak Snabler

And there is also the feeling that "why should I get dominated by 'better athletes' in basketball, when I could compete in a 'white' sport?"

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I saw the title and can't get past Cleavon Little ...

[​IMG]

Chef2, SFIND and heyabbott like this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What a grouch.

Chef2 and Sea Bass like this.
  9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Nash should be classified as a Canadian, he moved to the country as a baby.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But enough Abbott.

Draft saved Draft deleted