1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to charge per word/hour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by swingline, Mar 28, 2018.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, some newspapers are paying $50 or less for a high school football game...

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

In my final days as a sports editor, I was told I could offer stringers $35 to cover a high school football game. While I probably would've gotten some takers even for that pittance, I was too embarrassed to even offer that to someone who would give up a Friday night.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The big-city daily about 90 miles from where I live pays $50 for high school football games. At least it did until I quit covering games for it a few years ago. That's not enough money to cover a game where I have to keep my own stats and send in scoring updates every quarter.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And then you discovered the world of university magazines. Next up, airline magazines. Maybe you can ADD a bathroom to the house. :)

Flip Wilson likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

At 7:22 a.m. this morning, I received this:

*Hello swingline:

I received your contract back late yesterday so your payment is being processed today.*

The check (cheque) is in the mail! Maybe. I'll spend it when I see it.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

And upload post-game video...

Flip Wilson likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I finally got my money. With mileage, a shade more than $1,000. Hallelujah, bills will be paid.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I use a service that transcribes audio and video files of public meetings, and they charge 85 cents per minute of audio/video.

Draft saved Draft deleted