1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Five more months of Corey Stewart headlines. Ugh. He has zero chance of winning, which will only make him more outrageous.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

While I expect him to lose, I wouldn't put his chances at zero. This is a state that elected George Allen despite his affiliation with the Council of Conservative Citizens, the noose he kept hanging in his law office and the Confederate flags he proudly displayed in his home. They nearly elected him again in 2012.

What's most interesting to me about Stewart's nomination is what effect that will have on the down ballot races, particularly the house races. There are several seats in Virginia that Democrats think they can take and they nominated strong candidates yesterday.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Stewart is not beating Kaine, who is a Virginia political institution.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I know, no outing, but the State of the Board thread discussion was great. Letting people know what happened is part of the reason why I took a risk and created the Vombatus 2.0 thread back in late April. Two key things that I wanted to convey in that thread: I owned up to what I did (and am trying to be a lot better as VB 2.0) and I noted my appreciation and respect for the moderators.

And that was not kissing ass - I’ve known quite a few moderators across the Internet, and it is usually a volunteer job that takes a lot of time (eats one’s life up), takes a personal toll, and is just generally something that I would NOT want to do. Herding cats and telling them repeatedly to follow the rules and the decorum of the site and not be assholes - whew, fuck that. I respect them for what they do. You don’t necessarily have to like what they do, but hell, the more headaches you cause, the more pain you can expect to be delivered back.

I like to say: managers don’t like to manage. Like admin or personnel headaches. Don’t be a problem.

I almost forgot: is the return of Rainman coincidental? I smell socks.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And Dave Brat was never going to beat Eric Cantor.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I was actually going to type that the situations are in no way similar. But you know that. Eric Cantor was not close to being as entrenched in the state’s politics as Kaine is. And the difference between Cantor and Brat was miniuscule compared to Stewart vs. Kaine.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

And George Allen was a Virginia political institution until he called a young Indian American "Macaca" on video after the primary, opening the door for Jim Webb to barely knock him off. There's five months to go.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I will bet anyone on this board a year of leaving that Stewart does not beat Kaine. These situations you are bringing up are not analogous. One year.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Corey Stewart is only a year removed from coming within 5,000 votes of the Republican nomination for governor.

He has a large constituency, even if they’re morons and/or white supremacists.

Taking certain victory for granted is how we ended up here in the first place.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Wanna bet?

Virginia is a blue state. Getting a bunch of votes against other Republicans in this climate is not the same as getting the votes needed to beat an incumbent Democrat who has name recognition and no skeletons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.