1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018-19 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

That story made my head spin. But I love the pictures in the story. Could they have chosen a photo that made Hoffman's girlfriend look a little less conniving?

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The hockey wives clearly have the Karlssons' back

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What a weird story. Ottawa went from double overtime of Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final to a team that couldn't even crack 70 points in the span of a year. Obviously there was some internal bullshit going on there ...

Anyway, hoping like hell that the Caps find a way to sign Carlson to a long-term deal. They don't have a ton of wiggle room under the cap, so the whole band won't be back together next year. Jay Beagle is one of my favorite Caps ever, but I assume he'll be someplace else unless he decides he wants to stay for less money. Grubauer has to be gone. He deserves a chance to be a full-time starter somewhere and Washington signed Samsonov, meaning he needs to start in Hershey next year and Copley should be the backup in Washington. Devante Smith-Pelly very quickly turned into one of my favorite players this year, but he's due a raise. Don't know if Kempny has made a market for himself with his performance after the trade from Chicago.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Agreed with all of this, but the Beagle thoughts make me sad.

It’s hard not to love Beagle. He works so hard - even otherwise meaningless forecheck on the PK. Beagle is down there forcing the other team to work to get the puck moving.

He makes the fourth line super fun to watch.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love players like Jay Beagle. I am only slightly joshing about how much I hate the Caps. But if you forced me to say which players I enjoy on that team, I'd put Beagle near the top (I'd actually give a thumbs up to Braden Holtby). I'd take a player like Beagle on my team every day of the week. I think they make more of a difference than a lot of people realize. A lot of teams have fourth lines that are filler. I got a pretty good taste of that this year with my team. When the Rangers were decent during their recent run, Dom Moore was a staple on the fourth line, as the center. I don't mean to overstate Dom Moore's ability as a player, but he was a grinder and never took off a shift. He was also an excellent penalty killer. He was always working, and often it amounted to nothing during mid season games. But in the playoffs, he really had a knack for stepping it up. He was always making playoff opponents have to work hard. This year, which was a miserable year, they had a rotating cast for the fourth line (and honestly, their third line wasn't much better than the fourth line), and often David Desharnais was the center. There is nothing wrong with Desharnais as a serviceable player / body, but there was never that spark during the games I watched. I made that contrast between him and Dom Moore, and it really made me think about how a player with that little extra spark and who forechecks relentlessly is a huge asset. Beagle is definitely that guy.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Caps saw how valuable Beagle was during the first two games of the Columbus series, which they lost, a big reason being that they couldn't win a defensive zone faceoff, Beagle's specialty. He's awesome. He's the total glue to that line. You can put almost any two wingers next to him (Alex Chiasson and Nathan Walker!) and he'll make them look good. I just understand the reality of the salary cap. Just don't think there's a way to keep both Beagle and Carlson. I really hope I'm wrong.

Justin_Rice likes this.
  9. I thought the same thing ... That photo: She's totally a whack job! ;)

And a 6.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  10. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Scary stuff.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I saw a column somewhere, not on one of the main D.C. sites, that said the Caps needs to do a few things to make Carlson fit: Grubauer traded, but that happens anyway. Orpik bought out, which I might have been in favor of a while back but he's grown on me. And then they'll be able to sign Carlson and ONE of three: Beagle, Kempny, DSP. ONE! All will get some attention and money because of their playoff performance. The $$ is on Kempny since they'll need another D if they buy out Orpik and because he and Carlson worked so well together.

Was talking to some college kids at the parade yesterday who had no idea there was a Cap and they couldn't just resign everybody.

Somewhere around here is a Jay Beagle bobblehead. Also one of my favorite players. But I suspect he's gone.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's the nature of that business. When Brian Boyle had a really good playoffs during the Rangers run in 2014, he hit free agency with some decent interest. I wasn't happy to see him go, but I thought the Rangers did the right thing. With the kind of salary he was commanding there were better things they could do with that money.

Draft saved Draft deleted