1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Fair point, but the overhead at The Athletic or other pure websites can't be compared to that of a newspaper. There are no presses, no gigantic rolls of newsprint, no trucks, etc. Most newspapers would have a chance if they had enough digital-only subscribers. If only .....

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In the WSJ story after their $20 million seed round, Mather was quoted saying they are going to test event sponsorships and podcasts. They were also considering syndication deals with local TV stations, but didn't have anything like that in place like that yet. Aside from just stepping in to be the online version of what the local paper's sports section used to be (and I think people should take them at face value, that this is what they are trying to do), that is probably what they are considering as ancillary add-ons.

Two other things. ... if you look at the VC firms that have forked over cash, these aren't people with impressive track records of starting successful companies -- although I believe Dan Gilbert (Cleveland Cavs, Quicken) has invested with one of the lead VC firms. A lot of pimple-faced Ivy League types who walked out into a world of cheap credit making it easy to borrow and misallocate capital. Again, that doesn't mean that THIS is a bad idea. But this is still an early stage business that needs to prove its concept.

I suspect that if they could build something -- not even necessarily profitable -- big enough to make some established media players think they are a threat, they would love to just sell what they started, let it be someone else's problem, and walk away with a profit. But I am not inside Mather or Hansmann's heads.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So then SI.com should've done that, but didn't?

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Why? I usually go to yahoo for scores and the recap, but what difference does it make that many young people go to Bleacher Report? Do you think it means
    ESPN's demographic has aged?

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I think Reilly was a great buy-low hire. Without a weekly deadline and with a strong editor who is able to turn back the article now that he came with his tail between his legs I bet it goes well. If it doesn't, it will be short-lived.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think Reilly needed the job. He has enough money. AS a result I don't think he wills tay if he is heavily edited.

But Reilly is a brand name who I suspect is working really cheap. It is well worth it to print his columns, no matter how stale, especially since electrons are free.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

How many people here are buying a subscription? I guess I'm in the minority who is so used to getting online sports content for free that I won't pay for it. I'll pay for the New Yorker digital, but I will not pay for local coverage of my team. I simply don't need to know that much about things re: my favorite teams. Now if ALL the outlets were smart and monetized the content this way, I obviously would. But to me, I feel like a sucker paying for "insider" shit like they have with ESPN Insider.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think I'm like you. I like sports, but I'm not a big enough fan of any particular team to feel compelled to know everything about them. I'm not really a fan of any North American team, much. The Athletic's target must be fans who are hardcore. Lord knows there are a lot of them. I ain't one.

9. CD Boogie

What is ya, some kinda commie?

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, yes, but I also care about English football.

11. CD Boogie

I’ve been watching the EPL the last few weekends. Until someone builds me a flow chart that properly delineates how all the leagues intermingle, I will simply enjoy the beautiful game one match at a time.

12. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

As a Mets and Jets fan I have plenty of free outlets to tell me how shitty my teams are :)

I looked into their college football stuff but frankly I like reading people like Staples, Forde and Feldman better along with ESPN's coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted