1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor — Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Joel Reichenberger, May 10, 2018.

1. Joel Reichenberger

Joel Reichenberger New Member

Love sports? Love the outdoors? Here’s your opportunity to live and work in gorgeous Colorado.

The Steamboat Pilot & Today, an award-winning daily newspaper in beautiful Northwest Colorado, is seeking a sports editor with strong photography skills. Prior daily newsroom is a plus. This beat primarily covers snow sports, outdoor recreation and prep sports. The successful candidate must be highly organized and deadline-driven with online reporting, social media and enterprise reporting skills and a desire to connect with readers on multiple platforms.

To apply, please visit www.swiftcom.com/careers and select job 1612.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor Needed for Iconic Colorado Mountain Community

There's a little more info on the links. It's been my job for 10 years now so I'm happy to answer any questions.

To hit some of the basics:

It's an awesome, awesome place to write sports thanks to the fact that there are a ton of Olympians and otherwise incredible athletes, adventurers and sports figures living in town, from gold medalists to Verne Lundquist. There were 15 Olympic athletes with at least some local ties in Pyeongchang (maybe 8-9 of those with actual strong ties.) That really allows someone in this position to punch above their weight class in terms of interesting stories and opportunities.

Some really cool events come through town, and we've traveled for other really cool events. I usually travel for X Games and occasionally hit up other big ski and snowboard events in the region depending on how local competitors are doing, and I've covered the last two Winter Olympics. The paper has staffed every Winter Olympics since 2002. There's no promise of that going forward, but come in, learn the sports and their characters to make yourself indispensable on those beats and it's possible.

There are three local high schools, one that's fairly large and two that are pretty small with 8-man football programs. Some programs are really good, then there's a basketball team hasn't won in 2+ seasons and another that's won two games in the last three seasons. We still cover preps and I think that's important, but no question it's not as big a deal as it is at most papers this size (<10,000 circ.)

It's a one-man show for the most part, though there are several other people on staff who will pick up sports stories and we've used stringers when things get really busy. I've mostly managed to maintain a real weekend (consecutive days off, at least), which I know isn't always the case in at smaller papers.

All that said, it's not easy to live in a ski town. It's not as impossible as people here sometimes make it out to be, but it's definitely not easy. Housing tends to go up and down here, and we're definitely on an up, so that's the main concern.

To wrap up, it's a good paper with a strong editor and solid, stable ownership and it offers a lot of opportunities to cover more than preps. In fact, it could be a real voice in the outdoor sports community in ways I never really pushed. So, it will be interesting to see how someone new wants to take it.

2. Joel Reichenberger

AHHHH totally forgot to add, the paper is moving offices and the new digs will be above a brewery downtown.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Joel ... WHAT???

Joel Reichenberger likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now that's taking the "newbies buy the beer" rule seriously.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Steamboat is great. My late sister had a condo up there and it's staying in our family so I've spent a good amount of time up there. You're about three hours from Denver and it can get pretty cold. But it's not Aspenized and as Joel said, lots of opportunities here, especially for those starting out. Good luck.

6. Joel Reichenberger

I'm leaving the paper but not town, so I'd love to buy you a beer next time you're up.

As for the cold, it feels like we get about one week a year that's just brutal, in the -10 to -30 range, though mostly we hover more 10-30 degrees. They'll cancel school below -40 because the diesel in school buses gels and they can't get them started. That's only happened once since I've been here.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My brother lived in Granby, which is next to the Winter Park ski resort, and is similar in climate to Steamboat. He told me that the winters never bothered him. He did try to schedule his vacation in the spring mud season.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

A friend of mine from high school, who grew up at the beach, when he retired, he and his wife did one of those "In Search of America" trips. When they got to Steamboat Springs, they stopped their search and have been there ever since.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

His wife blew the nest egg, eh?

[​IMG]

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's it. I have another friend who did it and wound up moving from outside of Phoenix to The Villages in Florida. Another couple are on their trip right now, probably headed for Florida. But they're going to travel up the East Coast for a while before deciding.

11. Greg Ford

Greg Ford New Member

What kind of a place is Steamboat Springs to move to and eventually retire?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Depends what you're looking for. Verne Lundquist has lived up there for years. I love Steamboat and glad my sister's second home is staying in our family.

Draft saved Draft deleted