1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer — The Manhattan Mercury

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tom Ato, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Here's the posting from JournalismJobs:

Date Posted April 30, 2018
    Industry Newspapers / Wires
    Specialty Sports/Outdoors
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Not Specified
    Website themercury.com

Description:
    We're looking for a deadline-driven writer to cover high school sports for The Manhattan Mercury in Manhattan, Kansas.

The Mercury covers the 6A Manhattan High Indians as well as five smaller area schools, so we need someone who can juggle the schedules of numerous sports teams for the greatest coverage and best stories possible. The person also will assist with K-State sports coverage. Night and weekend hours are required.

Manhattan is a young, vibrant city of 56,000 in the scenic Flint Hills. It's home to Kansas State University and adjacent to Fort Riley. It has a small-town atmosphere with big-city amenities. Nearby, Tuttle Creek Lake and Konza Prairie wildlife preserve provide lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation.

The Mercury offers a benefits package that includes medical, vision, dental, three weeks vacation after the first year and profit-sharing plan. Bachelor's degree and reporting experience a plus, but most of all, we want someone who is intelligent, hungry and willing to work as part of a team.

To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and three to five writing clips to Megan Moser at mmoser@themercury.com. No phone calls, please.

Link: JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports writer

=================

I can answer pretty much any question about this position, so PM me with any inquiries.

2. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

An update here: I've been told applications are being taken through Friday, so if you're interested in this position, you still have some time.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

“Salary not specified” yeah good luck living in MANHATTAN on that kinda salary

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You might be able to find a more affordable place in Ogden or one of the other boroughs and commute.

5. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Might sell my car if I get this job. The transit system in Manhattan is pretty thorough

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Junction City is basically Brooklyn.

Tweener likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Does it have a high school? Can we cover the Junction boys? [/oldschoolsj]

8. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

Sho'nuff: Junction City Highschool

Home of the Blue Jays!

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A rare poster on the jobs board that gets this place!

Tom Ato likes this.
  10. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

I like to think I know enough to be dangerous!

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Junk City, home of the Blue Jays and strip clubs. Watch out for Mustangs.

12. Tom Ato

Tom Ato Member

This position has been filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted