1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2018 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 24, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Didn't see one.

El Tigre tees it up at one of his favorite places this week, Torrey Pines, where he has won eight times, including infamously 10 -- 10! -- years ago for his last major in an epic U.S. Open. Paired with Hoffman and Reed the first two rounds.

Rahm coming off a win at the Hope and has moved past Spieth for No. 2 in the world.

West Coast Swing always better than the Florida events (with now Mexico thrown in) because of the courses. Torrey. Pebble. Riviera.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

3. I can not stand Dechambeau.

He remnds me of Nuke LaLoosh.
    All that technical talk and golf is science crap and he is little more than a lirker.
    Like Durham told LaLaoosh, win 20 games in the show and you walk around in moldy shower shoes and the media will think your colorful. Until then you are a slob.
    Until DeChambeau wins (something other than JD Classic) he's guy who hasn't done much more than talk.

How many thousand spectators watching TW as he tees 18? Jesus ... Great field and he's out of it, with a birdie free round (12 shots of the lead and pretty terrible weekend) and there are stilll thousands flocking to see him finish.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pudgy white dads in cargo shorts need a hero.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Jeez ... did Jason Day catch my left-a-lot virus?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You ever talk to him? Meet him? He's a good guy. So he's cerebral and an equipment geek. Once again, your post is evidence that a good portion if America is afraid of smart people.
    And it's spelled "lurker."
    And it's you're

7. America is afraid of smart people? Jesus Fucking Christ...
    Probably explains why no one here is afraid of you, huh?

Tiger is smart and cerebral. So are a ton of pro golfers. Most of 'em, who you know, play for a living.

I don't like him because he's a lot of talk and gets a lot of hype - with no results.
    He may be smart, but he could stand be better at golf. At the pro level anyway.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He won in his first year on the Web.com Tour and won in his rookie year on the PGA Tour. He's pretty damn good.
    And yes, America is afraid of smart people. How do you think George W. Bush and Trump got elected?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I have an irrational hatred of those hats DeChambeau wears. But love that he does things his way.

Ever pick up those single-length irons at a golf store? Bizarre. I'd be curious to try them but my game is so fragile that I don't want to put other swings in my head.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Only five guys have ever won the NCAA title and the US Am in the same year: Jack, Phil, Tiger, Ryan Moore and Bryson. He's got plenty of game.

I like Bryson a lot. He's from another era. Yes he's a little odd. But he's backing it up. A win as a rookie and five Top 10s this year (including Top 5 finishes at some Big Boy tracks like API, Hilton Head and Quail) is no joke.

Love that he's crept up to 12th in the Ryder Cup standings. He would be an enjoyable irritant in Paris for the US.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's literally a tribute to Ben Hogan!

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I just think that should have been retired with Hogan. Kind of like Payne Stewart's knickers.

But the fact that DeChambeau rubs some people the wrong way is good for golf too. He and Reed winning is a good juxtaposition to Fowler, JT and the buddy-buddy circuit.

Draft saved Draft deleted