1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idaho Press Tribune seeks "Major League" Sports Editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by PeteIPT, May 4, 2018.

1. PeteIPT

PeteIPT New Member

The Idaho Press-Tribune is looking for a new Sports Editor. We're looking for someone who has gotten their hands dirty [ideally 5 years' experience or more] working at as an Assistant Sports Editor or Sports Editor at least one paper with a large circulation.

This presents an opportunity to work for a local paper that is passionate about local and community news, and also with the hunger to grow and expand. Would provide an opportunity to move to the Boise, Idaho area which has a rapidly growing economy and lively downtown with great restaurants, low crime, good schools, great living costs, and driving distances to a ski-hill, various primer rivers, and some of the best hiking/camping in the country. We offer a competitive salary and health, dental, vision, HSA, 401k benefits, and great co-workers and culture

If this is something that interests you, please review the attached job description and send a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to jobs@idahopress.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

That exhausting job description describes every albatross they'll be strapping around your neck. Except salary. Salary isn't mentioned at all -- except that you'd be exempt from OT pay. A whole lot of expectations but let's not discuss compensation. PASS.

3. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Hey, at least Boise has a bitchin' craft beer scene

SFIND likes this.
  4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

God damn, that's a long job description.

If I were to leave my paper tomorrow, the job description for my position would probably amount to: Must be able to form complete sentences, learn InDesign quickly if you don't already know it, and understand that the lowest scorer in both golf and cross country are the winners.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't want to "mansplain" this, and I'm sure most of you know this already. But job summaries are detailed by choice. That way, if you ever come back and say, "I didn't know I had to do that," they have it down there in black and white that yes, you should have known.

And often, some of the requirements listed are never called upon in the job.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Is Idaho "Major League?"

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

upload_2018-5-5_0-31-13.png

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Definitely the most detailed one I've ever seen. Interesting is that it doesn't say what the paper's circulation is. Does that even matter anymore?

9. baddecision

I looked and saw that unofficially, it was listed at 19,900 and was the sixth-largest daily in Idaho. Interesting, because it seemed as if that four-page job description had 19,900 words. Wouldn't be surprised if the (no OT) salary was 19,900, also.

10. PeteIPT

PeteIPT New Member

Good morning Everyone:

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I understand the job description is a little long, we do try to err on the side of more detail. Seeing some questions on compensation as well. This is a salaried position with a salary range of $45,000-$55,000 annually, depending on experience. I am actively monitoring the jobs@idahopress.com e-mail inbox, so if you have any additional questions on the posting feel free to reach out.

And it is true there is a fantastic craft beer scene in Boise.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  11. baddecision

You answered the (somewhat derisive) questions. Good on you and good luck in your recruiting.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, they wear fedoras and press passes at this level, Son.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted