1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist "prom-posal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Tweener likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It happens in California and it's insane. My two youngest graduated high school five and six years ago and they had to go through it.

I feel bad for this kid. I hope he doesn't get backlashed too hard. It was a joke that missed it's mark. This would be an A level joke for @Vombatus .

Vombatus and JC like this.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Modern Family did an episode last year (I think) on PromPosals. It is indeed a thing now.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

This country is fucked.

wicked and lakefront like this.
  5. Dick Whitman

I never went to Prom. I didn't have a girlfriend and I didn't really hang out with girls at all in that I would be able to go with someone "as a friend."

Took hotties to all my fratbro formals, though.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Kids today. <shakes head sadly>

7. Dick Whitman

Life is just a series of performance art set pieces now.

TowelWaver, wicked, Alma and 4 others like this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A few years ago he would've been carrying her bag to the prom.

9. Dick Whitman

See, this is always the retort. And sometimes adults do tsk-tsk perfectly healthy youth behavior that they don't "get." But sometimes, the grown-ups are right and kids actually do engage in stupid shit that needs to stop.

jr/shotglass and Tweener like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Only if they translate well to social media.

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too upset if he does feel a huge backlash for this.

He's 18 years old - old enough to know the way that was worded was horrible. The entire thing is based on a horribly racist premise. I'm assuming he didn't keep this a secret, and sought out some guidance from friends/family members before executing it. No one thought to tell him it's a terrible idea?

I do hope, for his sake, that future potential employers, or even colleges he applies to, don't do a Google search for his name and see this.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you are bagging on the kid for the sign, fine. If you are bagging on the kid for the promposal thing, the mommies are SO INTO IT. They get to put it on *their* social media. And helicopter moms today Ive seen practically do the whole promposal, from design and on.

Draft saved Draft deleted