1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Starbucks thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 18, 2018.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Exactly. Sometimes I'll buy a Gatorade so I'll need to take another piss by the time I get to my parents' place. Sometimes I don't. But my previous purchase justifies any future pissing.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

But if you bought a Gatorade, you can just piss in the bottle when it's empty. The wide opening makes those bottles ideal for a side of the road piss.

ChrisLong likes this.
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Gatorades do make the best trucker bombs.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I was in Europe with some friends a few years ago, one who is a particularly tightly wrapped ball of social disorders. For instance, she only crosses streets at crosswalks, and when she has the light. So, wandering around these cities we didn't know at all following maps we barely understood, things get very complicated if you're not willing to jaywalk. We'd just walk across a quiet street to the restaurant we were looking for. She'd walk 300 yards down the street, cross at the crosswalk and walk 300 yards back.

We were in Prague and she desperately had to pee. Another of her rules, though, is she won't pee without buying something, and she won't buy something just to buy something. She thought that fell under the same moral dark area as peeing without buying anything at all. So we walked past two or three McDonalds, two or three Starbucks, an untold number of bars and other appropriate stores and all offered to go buy a soda or a hamburger or a beer, but she just kept trudging along, absolutely miserable.

Anyway, she wouldn't get kicked out of this Starbucks. She's shit for a travel partner, though.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Point of order: My girlfriend had a brother killed when he was hit by a car. I've got to urge her on to cross an empty street not at a crosswalk or without the light.

I don't like it, but I understand her perception, and it's certainly not a social disorder.

Pilot likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Did you not have a Taser?

Pilot likes this.
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It should cheer you up to know that I have also handed a couple bucks to a cashier on my way to the bog if I knew I didn't want whatever they were selling. Worked like a charm.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A while back, about a year into my tenure as a New York area resident, I hit up a Starbucks. I go to them way too often. My plan on this day was to use the bathroom, then get my drink.
    One of the workers saw me head straight to the can and said something about customers only. I pointed out that I planned to buy something but needed to take care of some business first. He started to say something so I handed him my Starbucks card and said go check your system and see how much I've bought.
    When I came out, I had a free coffee waiting.

Alma, HanSenSE and Big Circus like this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Dollars-to-stale-overpriced-SBUX-donuts says that guy was a former RA at his liberal arts college.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably. He was very pleasant the whole time though I could tell the "rules" were important to him. I was going to order a tea but at the price, the coffee was fine.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The two Starbucks locations I go to don't seem to have a problem with it. Nice folks, laid-back stores. One of them always has people stopping by for restroom breaks only, and the traffic lane to the back makes it obvious.

That said, I'll probably hit some other places for a while.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I agree, even though I don’t think this is really the issue at hand.

When I was on the road more often and would have to slip into a Starbucks to file, I would always at least buy a tall—that’s right, that’s the name—beverage. It is the respectful thing to do.

poindexter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted