1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Starbucks thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 18, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How many of you cheap asses go into an establishment, use the toilet, hang out, and don't buy a thing?

Hands?

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That's why they put that side door on the McDonald's, isn't it?

I haven't eaten at one in years. I've pissed in thousands, though.

Also, I've learned this behavior is much more accepted in rural areas. I forget that and try to do it in a city and it turns into that Steve Buscemi at the bookstore skit on Portlandia.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. poindexter

No I am serious. How many of you go into an establishment like starbucks, use the bathroom (apparently you have to ask for a key?), then hang out, and don't buy anything?

I don't go to starbucks, but jesus, that just seems rude to me.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've gone in to use the bathroom and left. Not sure I'd hang out afterward though. If I have enough reason to rush in and use the bathroom, that isn't likely to be a place I will want to stay.

Are we talking about the guy in California or the guys in Philly? The ones in Philly were waiting for a friend. The guy in California, I don't think it was established that he was ***only*** there to use the bathroom. Once he saw the white dude get the pass, the whole thing blew up, so we aren't sure what he was going to do if the whole thing just played out.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Went to Shakespeare & Co. bookstore in NYC years ago. Found a stack of great books to purchase, then felt an unignorable urge to void. Asked an employee where the bathrooms were located, and she said (snootily) they didn't have any for customers. I dropped the stack of books right there and fled to a McDonald's, which was the first place that had a public restroom.

I should have unzipped and let fly in the bookstore.

6. poindexter

Okay, they were waiting for a friend. And then what?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I assume they either leave with the friend or order something there.

I have met people at Starbucks, without buying something, at least two dozen times in my life.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think you just described Type's 'work day.'

9. poindexter

I don't know how people work in customer service with the public.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would have found a quiet corner near the self-help books.

I Should Coco and Slacker like this.
  11. poindexter

At sj.com, we have an old reliable trope that goes something like "I've done that thing a dozen times", with the implication that it makes it okay. It doesn't.
    You are using their place, please buy something. A cookie is a goddamned dollar. It just seems like one of those common courtesy things that makes the world run better.

If I am working in starbucks and a dude wants to use the toilet, and then just hang out, I'd be like 'here we go again'.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I BUY PLENTY GODDAMN YOU

Draft saved Draft deleted