1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did I not know this!???!! Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Apr 3, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That makes sense, because the West is Canada's America.

HC likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they even make you pay for gas in Canada. Health care is free, why isn't fuel? That's discrumblenation.

maumann likes this.
  3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Says the guy from the province that elected Rob Ford and will probably elect his brother.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I just learned last week that the steering locks if it is moved without the key in the ignition.

From time to time upon entering the car my key would get stuck, and I couldn't figure out why, or how it eventually became unstuck.

Had no idea that I kept inadvertently locking it by using the steering wheel for support to get in or out of the car. And that unlocking it was as simple as moving the wheel again.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Touché!

Huggy and Iron_chet like this.
  6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is the post equivalent of a swift, deserved kick to the dick and balls.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I figured they were extra cautious on the West Coast because:
    a) gas is crazy expensive
    b) every accountant drives a big ass pickup truck

Someone pulling a 'gas & run' would be a significant loss.

maumann likes this.
  8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Ha. Having lived in a few different parts of the country and traveled to most of it for work and fun there are some regional differences but I have yet to find a place that I truly disliked. Also should have put a smiley face on the Rob Ford crack because we have our share of wingnuts here in Alberta. LET THE WEST IN111!!!!

Central Ontario - bit of a complex about "world class" but always found people friendly and fun to work with.
    Manitoba - big small town ultimate "who do you think you are ?" attitude.
    East Coast - super friendly unless you move there and then you are stealing jobs, always heard Come From Away as an insult until the Broadway show made it a nice term.
    West Coast - super pretentious, hard to get to know people.
    Ottawa - all about what you or your parents do in government.

All of that being said the province just passed a law about prepaying for gas. Driven by an absolutely tragic situation where a recent immigrant tried to stop a gas thief and was thrown from the hood of the truck. She was an engineer from Iran but that was the only job she could get. Her husband and young son moved to BC. They were driving back for a memorial and he was killed in a car accident.

maumann likes this.
  9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Carrying over from the TV thread, saw a show last night on the Kinks and I never knew they were banned from playing in the states from 65-69. Pretty impressive they were able to survive that and have such a lengthy, successful career, and kind of explains why they always seem like an afterthought compared to the Stones or the Who in a history of rock and roll discussion.

Sorry for deviating from the current theme. Now, back to your scheduled Canuck petrol discussion.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

You probably all know this but-where else to put it? I just sent this on to the FTC---if dumbass has not gutted the office and someone is still there to protect the consumer.

Caller said they were from microsoft--their office was being shut down because the server crashed! They wanted to refund money that i spent when I sent my computer to MS to get fixed,--I had sent my computer in this last fall---I only paid shipping, about 30$ but they said I had spent 300+. All I had to do was hit the windows key and the r key, they could then take over my computer and then send me out a form for the refund. I gave a bs story that I could not get to the computer so he gave me his name---foreign fellow with accent, but name was "Brad Wilson" 360-369-4764. they originally called me via 800-217-4032

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Kinks related trivia that I learned in the past two years. Rod Stewart did a small stint with them when they were all teens. Got no further than a couple of garage jams, but would have been a heluva different group if it had worked out.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Got me wanting the whole story, so I found it on the GoggleTube ...

'I feel bad for him': Mother of woman killed in gas-and-dash reacts to 11-year sentence | CBC News

Draft saved Draft deleted