1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

After reading the transcript of the Comey interview I have a better appreciation for the position he was put in regarding Clinton and Trump.
    It's odd though - the only reason he found himself in that position was that the two campaigns were too gutless to own their various scandals, allowing him/trusting him? to have the kind of power that could have potentially swung the election.
    The word games - "matter vs. investigation" - Trump saying but not saying the magic words, Priebus, Sessions et. al not having the stones to tell the President that he is very close to crossing a line that could kill his Presidency. Just weird.
    Hillary people blaming Comey for a bad judgement call, is like a team making three errors that led to runs blaming the umps. If Team Clinton just said, yes the FBI is still investigating, we are cooperating and fully expect to be cleared, these are e-mails they already examined, she'd probably be President right now. (It would have helped if she campaigned a bit more in the Midwest as well).

lakefront likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Has Christopher Steele ever done a sit down interview?

I wish Comey wasn't going on The View or Colbert - I know he has to sell books, but it kind of undermines the seriousness of what he's trying to say.

That said - the President makes Comey's case against him just about every day with a tweet or odd statement.

If his supporters really wanted to help the President be as successful as they want him to be, they would be wise to tell him when he says something stupid, when he's out of line and only digging himself a bigger hole. The enabling only encourages him. Don't know why people close to him are so afraid to call him out on his BS. It weakens his Presidency.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He doesn't let anyone who would get close to him.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I love you too, honeybunny, but I am not hanging my hat on RBIs other than this one instance in which I was given the final 2 players to choose from with only 2 statistics. Now go and have a mixed drink with your favorite girls.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. Songbird

It's coming for Sean. Sean's getting his very soon.

lakefront likes this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have said this in a bunch of posts. He was stuck dealing with the moral turpitude of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Regardless of how he dealt with what was coming at him, he was going to be the loser. They play dirty, dishonestly and don't give a shit who they destroy as collateral damage.

I like Jim Comey. A lot. I think he's sanctimonious and has appointed himself the moral conscience of America, and I think that is not going to work for him. People always hate that guy. But I also think he is an honest man and genuinely was doing what he thought was right -- no matter how he is trying to spin things now to protect his image.

The problems I have are: 1) The fact that America lost its way to the point that we have reduced ourselves to two corrupt political parties that are destroying the country, and set up a process that elevated Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump as our choices for president. The thought of it 20 years ago would have made me puke. Now we just accept that. America has gotten what it deserves. 2) The FBI director is a problematic position in and of itself. Comey would argue that to do that job you need to be independent and above politics. And he'd hold himself up as being that guy. But I'd submit that no person should be in that position. Even if you believe that Jim Comey is a Boy Scout and did exactly the right thing. ... what if it had been someone less "pure" making those kinds of decisions? One person shouldn't be some paternalistic overlord trying to protect the American people according to HIS sensibilities. That isn't how a free, democratic country operates. We need to be governed by the rule of law. Starting with our democratic institutions, notably our elections. But what do you do when America has gotten so depraved that we end up with two ammoral hyenas, who skirt the rules so brazenly that there are serious questions about possible criminal behavior? It's a real dilemma.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Why polling the general public is difficult, Cbapter 12,000,000: In the Washington Post poll taken at the end of last week, 75 percent of respondents who identified as Democrats or as independents who lean Democratic said they were registered to vote. In a January poll by the same organization, 84 percent of such persons said they were registered. Now obviously nobody's actual voter registration status changed in two months. It's either a random sampling change, or an indication that fewer Democrats are thinking about the election. But what it indicates most of all is that people are inaccurate and/or deceptive describers of their own behavior.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

There's little question of morality when the President of the United States calls neo-Nazis "very fine people."

garrow and franticscribe like this.
  11. Songbird

The whole "very fine people" thing is beyond overcooked at this point. We get it.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A helpful reminder to this thread. A Quinnipiac poll last week showed that 38 percent of respondents had no opinion on Robert Mueller, which is a polite way of saying they didn't know who he was. This remains an amazingly apolitical country for better or worse (it's both).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.