1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How GateHouse Loots its Papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Apr 8, 2018.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Aren't most of these purchases just LBOs with an assumption of debt and an IOU based on future earnings? (Usually paid to some company that will front the cash)

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gatehouse had revenue of 1.342 billion and reported a loss in FY 2017. Fortress, which has the management contract, took out over 10 million in base compensation and a performance bonus of another 10 million or so. Much of the cash is going to them.

3. LanceyHoward

Gatehouse has owned Canton for a while. Last year Gatehouse bought Wooster. How much of the Wooster staff is still there?

I suspect Gatehouse is going to combine Akron and Canton in a similar fashion.

4. LanceyHoward

Many years ago when I was in an MBA program we learned about a corporate milking strategy. This was developed by some consulting firm (BCG, I think). The idea was that you identified a dying business and pulled as much cash as possible out. While no one at Gatehouse has said that about newspapers I think that is the view of Fortress. The reason I think that is I don't see Gatehouse trying to develop a web strategy.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not certain what the original structure of Fortress' purchase of Liberty Publishing was. Fortress was a private company then. I don't believe it was an LBO, but I am not 100 percent certain about how they financed it. I do know that at the time the amount they paid was considered too high by a lot of people. Even if there was any amount of debt financing for the purchase, the bulk of the massive debt they had by the time they declared bankruptcy came after the acquisition. They went insane borrowing and buying up newspapers. Hundreds of them. It's an old chestnut from the private-equity playbook. They look for very slow-growing, but profitable industries. Things like railroads, chemical companies, etc. They add a ton of debt , and then pay their investors a dividend using the ongoing cash flow. It's not about the growth. It's about whatever cash the company can throw off and the owners collecting their dividend.

That cash flow dried up, as we all know, as the newspaper business went to pot. Which left them with a massive amount of debt and trouble servicing it. As I said in an earlier post, in hindsight they bought the Titanic and then tried to fix it by buying the Hindenburg. It was a disaster for them.

What is kind of interesting in the Gatehouse saga is the original owners that Fortress bought from. Most of those newspapers had started out as part of the Conrad Black empire. Hollinger, Black's company, was looking to divest itself of a couple of hundred community newspapers in the late 90s, and an attorney who worked for the company found the financing (via another private equity firm) to buy them up. They formed Liberty Publishing Group. Newspapers were peaking when they formed the company, and ad revenue was good. They owned several hundred community newspapers and shoppers, and I am sure cash flow was decent. When they sold to Fortress, they probably saw the handwriting on the wall for newspapers, and being a step ahead of the game, they essentially found the right sucker.

They were the ones who cashed out of the thing with a huge pay day. Fortress took a bath on its foray into the newspaper business.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Railroads, exactly. Hedge fund Mantle Ridge owns CSX, and that continues to be an unmitigated disaster for its employees and customers.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a little different. CSX trades publicly. Mantle Ridge owns less than 5 percent of the company, but it is an activist investor. It accumulated that stake, got board seats and put in their own CEO.

The founder of Mantle Ridge, Paul Hilal, came from Pershing Square, which is a big hedge fund run by a douche named Bill Ackman. Pershing Square had pulled the same exact play with Canadian Pacific Railway. They accumulated a stake, won a proxy battle and installed the same CEO that Mantle Ridge put in at CSX. He revamped the railroad and the stock price ripped. The whole thing netted Pershing Square about $2.5 billion. This was back when Bill Ackman was on top of the world. He's had a tougher time of it the last few years, including taking a huge short position in Herbal Life, only to have Carl Icahn take the opposite side of the trade and torture the living hell out of Ackman with it. Ackman is such a douche, and the whole thing played out publicly enough, that it was pure entertainment. Icahn had the time of his life rubbing it in and turning the screws on Ackman for maximum pain. Ackman took a huge loss on the trade.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good commentary. The agent for all that railroad chicanery was E. Hunter Harrison, who led Illinois Central, CN and CP before being installed by Mantle Ridge at CSX. Despite having advanced COPD that soon required a portable oxygen tank, the Mantle-controlled board approved his hire and compensation north of $300 million. He quickly implemented his Precision Scheduled Railroading operating plan that had been successful at the previous linear railroads. CSX is more of a spaghetti bowl, but that didn't stop him from slashing thousands of jobs (with an announced 3,000 more jobs to go in the next two years), running fewer but much longer trains, planning to sell off up to 40% of the system, and pissing off just about all of CSX's customers to the point where the Surface Transportation Board called CSX on the carpet to explain itself.

Harrison died a few months ago after less than a year on the job, but his legacy with shareholders lives on: The other Class 1 railroads are similarly reducing overhead and abusing customers to the point where the STB has demanded service reports from all of their CEOs.

9. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Shifting gears a bit, is anyone familiar with how GateHouse has gone about managing the larger papers it's purchased in recent years, such as the Columbus Dispatch? I'm interested to find out if the same scorched-earth policy to staffing that has been implemented at smaller papers also applies to larger metros, beyond laying off the copy desks and moving the work to the Austin hub.

The most recent purchases of the Austin American-Statesman and Palm Beach Post involve newspapers that, while not what they used to be, have managed to maintain some semblance of quality. I also have a few friends at both papers and would like to see them hang on as long as possible.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Must be nice living. Pocket all the revenues and write off the losses.

I’m on the wrong side of the glass door.

11. A lot of good people lost their jobs is right. They have slashed budgets to a bare minimum and substituted wire copy for local coverage.

As a result, the quality of their newspapers has declined dramatically.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sad twist of fate: CSX used to own the Florida Times-Union before selling it to Morris.

Draft saved Draft deleted