1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weber State beat writer — The Standard-Examiner (Ogden, Utah)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 28, 2018.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Standard-Examiner is immediately hiring for a sports reporter to cover Weber State University athletics.

The right person for this job doesn’t think about the beat as just being a sports expert and covering games. Yes, it’s a given that tracking historical trends, roster movements and recruiting is an important part of the job, but the person we want to hire has demonstrated he or she can discover and tell engaging, memorable stories about players, coaches and a community.

We are the sole media organization to provide daily and in-depth coverage of Weber State sports. We ask our WSU reporter to tell stories in innovative, digital-first ways, without forsaking the print readers who depend on knowledgeable and practical coverage of their Wildcats.

This person can expect, on a daily basis, to work with the sports editor to plan coverage and map out great stories, as well as pushing to try new things and experimenting in social media, multimedia and projects.

We have a goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff, committed to storytelling in a multicultural environment.

Requirements:

• Sound news judgment

• Ability to think quickly and ethically

• Clean copy (AP Style is required) especially against hard, nighttime deadlines
    • Newsroom experience and a bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field

• Ability and zest for using social media for finding stories, making genuine connections and growing a loyal audience

• Highly organized — this person keeps track of multiple Division I programs

• Demonstrated professional use of social media, including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter
    Bonus if you have demonstrated ability in video production, photography, podcasting or other multimedia and/or newfangled digital skills.

The Standard-Examiner is a daily newspaper in Ogden, Utah, situated along the Wasatch Front mountains — think the skiing of Park City or Salt Lake City without the stupidly high cost of living.

This is a full-time position with benefits (medical, dental, 401k, etc). The job mostly requires evening/nighttime and Saturday shifts, plus some travel.

Send a cover letter, resume and/or a link to a portfolio and published examples of your work to sports editor Brett Hein at bhein@standard.net with the subject "WSU Sports Reporter."

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - College sports reporter

2. seadji

seadji New Member

I applied the day after the opening was posted but haven't heard back yet. Any insight as to where the hiring process is at?

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can you be there to cover the spring game?

5. seadji

seadji New Member

Might take some creativity, but if it was the difference I'd make it work.

6. ApplesCrider

ApplesCrider New Member

I applied the same day it went up and I haven’t heard anything back, either. I even sent a follow up email.

C Jackson Cowart likes this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Continuing to resist the temptation to engage in our normal snark here.

twinsfan1424 and Liut like this.
  8. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

The more you talk about how you applied, the more likely Weber State is of making a run in the NCAA tournament. It's science, guys.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why? Ogden is 84.04% white, 1.83% black, 1.43% Asian. o_O

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

You should follow up with Damian Lillard and see if he has any pull

Liut likes this.
  11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Loved working part-time for these guys...even had a Weber-BYU game when Lillard torched Jimmer.

12. ApplesCrider

ApplesCrider New Member

Thanks for the tip. I’ll make sure to do so.

Draft saved Draft deleted