1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How did I not know this!???!! Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Apr 3, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I pointed this out to a friend who looked at me like I was some combination of Jesus and a witch.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. typefitter

I've known this for a bit, but it was a revelation when I learned it, so I wish to share it here:

For my fellow Canadians, when US gas pumps ask you for your zip code when you're trying to pay with a credit card (because American society is built on the absence of trust and you have to pay for your gas in advance), press the three numbers in your postal code, plus 00. Presto!

Huggy, jlee, Iron_chet and 1 other person like this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Or just stay out of our country, you fuckin' commies.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

:p

Huggy and HC like this.
  4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I once just entered 22222, and it worked, too.

Also, I’ve had to prepay in Canada everwhere since ‘07. Except in the Yukon.

5. typefitter

Really? I live outside Toronto and don't have to prepay.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't prepay but since my debit card gets approved before I start pumping it's the same thing, isn't it?

7. RARist

RARist Member

Since Brandon, Brenda and the gang hit the airwaves, I've always just used 90210

jlee likes this.
  8. typefitter

Yes, but do you have to pay that way, is the question. Could you just pump and then go in and pay cash after if you wanted?

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Today alone, I learned there are a lot more Canadians and lawyers on sj.com than I realized.

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I’m a USican, so my experience is fairly limited, but yeah. Been to Canada for nine or 10 weeklong trips over the past decade, and always encountered prepay-only in Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC and Nova Scotia. Maybe I’m misremembering.

Also, I have in-laws visiting from up north a lot, we’ll have to try the 00 thing.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  11. typefitter

You can absolutely pay in advance, putting your credit card or debit card in. But where I live, you don't have to do that. You can pump and go in and pay after if you want to grab a Coke or whatever.

jlee likes this.
  12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't think prepay is necessary anywhere I've gone in Toronto. I had to prepay in BC.

Draft saved Draft deleted