1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘Why 60 Minutes aired photos of lynchings’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It’s like the Ray Rice video. It’s one thing to know it happens. It’s another thing to see it.

SnarkShark likes this.
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily put myself in the surprised category, but it did dawn on me when I moved to Confederate states after college there was a different connotation when people talked about a lynching or gathering a posse.

Growing up in Kansas it was more of a Wild West thing, cattle thiefs and such, or a reference to Bleeding Kansas, with a lot of Abolitionists lynching white slavery supporters.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

True, but acknowledging that reality doesn't allow for much moral/intellectual superiority ...

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Shock doesn't presume naivete. Slavery and the virulent racism that came from it is America's original sin, but hideous acts of violence have been done the world over, many millions of times. I don't think anyone is surprised by much of anything anymore.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thread here from Nikole Hannah Jones.

6. doctorquant

That picture Horowitz linked to is the one in America to which I referred ...

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I once read a comment by some racist who said that blacks actually committed a lot of lynchings themselves. While I'm pretty sure that's not true, could he have been talking about this?

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

No, if you look at that map on the first page the red areas in Kansas and Missouri are right along the border. That was pro-slavery whites vs. white abolitionists in the Bleeding Kansas Border War. The abolitionists strung up plenty of pro-slavery settlers trying to get Kansas voted into the Union as a slave state.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

From what I've read today, whites represented about a quarter of those lynched across the period under discussion.

Most of those probably conform to the suggestions above about border abolitionists; some more to the frontier justice model of the Wild West. Not sure how many were committed by African-Americans. I'd guess few, but as you'd imagine, the documentation is scant.

Of the others, the most notorious has to be Leo Frank in 1915.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I seriously tend to doubt what that guy said about blacks committing lynchings.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did you run that opinion through Snopes?

12. doctorquant

His car dealer’s F&I guy signed off on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted