1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Junior hockey team's bus involved in crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Stop signs are on 335, the crossroad the truck was on.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have no idea how this could happen, but the boy in this story, Xavier Labelle, is in fact alive. His identity was confused with a teammate, who is now confirmed dead.

Humboldt Broncos bus crash: Victim, survivor misidentified as each other

In other words, one family was grieving a dead son who has been lying injured in hospital; another family thought their son had survived but have since learned that he did not. Hard to imagine much more brutal.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The injuries must have truly horrific.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

After reporting on the Bluffton crash and talking to families, I just don't have the stomach to even read about this case in much detail.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

They won't say what happened, citing privacy laws, but I can see only two possibilities: They did DNA testing to confirm the dead and got an unexpected result, or a family member (on one side or the other) saw something that didn't jibe at the bedside. Either way, fucking horror show.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing, JR.

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

If he's unconscious and has any sort of facial injuries, it may have been extremely difficult to identify him by looks alone. They all dyed their hair blond for the playoffs, and facial swelling/cuts as well as tubes probably made facial recognition very difficult. They probably weren't carrying their wallets/IDs on them, or if they were they may have been lost in the crash or discarded as they were being treated on scene.

It sounds like the kid in question regained consciousness yesterday, so I'm guessing he may have been able to communicate who he actually was.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Im struggling to grasp the issue with the trees.

Put stop signs in all directions at the intersection and make everybody stop. If nobody runs the stop signs, you have no accident, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted