1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Junior hockey team's bus involved in crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Either it is or was on the Discovery Channel, I think. I've watched bits and pieces of it but never a whole show.
    I'm sorry if it seemed like I was making light of the situation. I didn't mean to. I've never been to that part of Canada (or anywhere in Canada to be honest, though one of my grandmothers was from Newfoundland before it became a part of Canada). I was just trying to get an idea of the terrain and the weather and road conditions there. I totally understand how it hurts you and I'm really sorry about that. It was just a terrible, terrible thing and my heart goes out to everyone who was hurt, their families and the families of those who died.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I didn’t think you were making light of it.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Thank you.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If you look at that intersection on Google Earth, those trees are deceptively closer to the road than they appear in the photo here on the previous page. If the truck driver ran the stop sign at highway speed, the bus driver didn't see him until about the time he cleared that last tree, and that left him no time to do anything but maybe swerve hard just before impact. That treeline has got to go, but it's way too late for that now.

From what I read elsewhere, those are sacks of peat moss the truck was carrying, which made for a heavy load, and apparently was the truck was towing a double trailer.

And it appears it's not the first time for a deadly accident there. On the roadside shoulder leading to the intersection, there is someone else's memorial of six white crosses, with three of them smaller to signify children.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If the truck driver ran the stop sign, it doesn't matter if the Amazon jungle is sitting on the corner. He's in a world of shit.

7. Slacker

Yes. But the outrage is Canada is that the stand of trees is so close to the road, blocking the view of northbound drivers. Had the bus driver had a wider view to the east of the intersection, he could have noticed the oncoming truck in time to avoid being hit. Comments on one forum pointed out that it's been considered a dangerous intersection for some time.

8. Slacker

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The trees are obviously a shelter belt for the house. Buy the homeowner out, remove the trees, and upgrade the signage.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

11. Slacker

Turn one of the roads into an overpass, and the risk of a crash disappears.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

No stop signs either direction? Hard to tell, but there are is nothing painted on the street. Horrible tragedy.

Draft saved Draft deleted