1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mini-round of layoffs at The Dallas Morning News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Think Horn, by age, is getting close to retirement territory, though I get that he might have had his own plans about that.
    But at a certain point, if there is severance involved, a layoff is more like an early-retirement package or even (if full retirement age already) a farewell with some parting gifts.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, he’s at work. His shift isn’t over for another 23 hours.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They give him a three-hour lunch break, though, with one hitch:

That's when he has to deliver the papers.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just me but I found sports media columns interesting. Since I consume most of my sports on television the columns were about something that I could relate to. They were certainly more interesting than copy about high school sports or an article about the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference that I had not seen on television.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Chad Finn does a regular sports media column and covers breaking media news for the Globe. But he also does other stuff. It's just part of his portfolio.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

My point is media is constantly changing. Jobs that were needed 10-20 years ago are no longer needed in most occupations and journalism clearly isn't immune to change. If the suits of a newspaper cut in certain areas, then identify and develop other areas to be more profitable, then they just might deserve their raise.

To pigeon hole every job-cutting situation into one small box, which seems to be a lot of what folks around here do, and constantly scream the suits are making all the money and the little guy is getting stepped on is shallow and sophomoric. Frankly, I expect more intelligent and more informed arguments from my colleagues.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Barry Horn’s Saturday sports media columns have been toothless ever since the dominant DFW sports radio talker joined a partnership with the DMN a decade ago. Horn was a frequent critic beforehand.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Fredrick must have lucked into some overtime!

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The Post-Dispatch has one, but he might also report on news media, too. I only see his byline a couple times a month, so I assume he covers more than just sports.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

No, his main gig is on the desk.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Working 23 hours for straight time is fine. He draws the line at staying in a budget motel though.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  12. awriter

awriter Active Member

Yeah, thank God they laid off those staffers. The industry would really go to hell if those corporate honchos didn’t get their $360,000 in raises.

“four of the top five earning Belo executives of saw their combined salaries increase by $360,880 between 2016 and 2017.”

Draft saved Draft deleted