1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What to charge per word/hour

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by swingline, Mar 28, 2018.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I contacted the editor for a university produced magazine, letting him know I'm open to freelance assignments to report on engineering research (which I did at a previous stop). He wrote back asking what my rate per word is for a 2- to 3-source story of about 1,200 words.

Because I believe my work has value, I don't want to sell myself short. On the other hand, I don't want to price myself out of the equation, either.

Is $1 per word reasonable? Too high, or too low? How about $75 an hour? Keep in mind I have a job right now — I'm hired! — but my workflow has slowed in the last week, so I need something to bring money home.

What say ye?

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I would think $1/word would price you out of any university publication.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wrote a few times for my law school university's alumni mag and got paid about $700, as I recall, for 400-500 words. I lost my contact there and I didn't really pursue it further, but it was good money for one- and two-source stories.

They fact-checked and line-edited the shit out of stuff, though.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nope. That's probably underselling. They pay A LOT.

Start at $1/word. They're not going to say "fuck you, get out of here." At most they'll say "that's a little steep" and you can come down.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Really depends on the university and the publication; freelance budgets can vary widely even between units in the same school. But I generally agree with LTL, there's usually good money out there in academia (where you'd be amazed how few people can write a coherent mass-audience story).

When I was a full-time freelancer, $1 per word was my standard. I'd take 75 cents per word if the gig fit into my calendar. For 50 cents a word it had to be something pretty darned fast and easy.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Agreed with LTL and company. Start at a buck a word.

7. SpeedTchr

I need to work with richer universities.

8. Dick Whitman

They got plenty of my money first, FWIW.

9. SpeedTchr

I spent less than $5000 on my undergrad and grad degrees. I went cheap.

10. Dick Whitman

You're the poster who doesn't believe in evolution, correct?

11. SpeedTchr

And...?

12. Dick Whitman

You get what you pay for.

Draft saved Draft deleted