1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet Jesus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Mar 28, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ice cream chain being boycotted for its 'totally offensive' Christianity-inspired name

Ice cream chain Sweet Jesus, which has nearly 20 locations in Canada and one in Baltimore, is popular on Instagram for its over-the-top dessert creations. But now it's facing a boycott from those who say the company's name is "totally offensive and revolting."

A recent petition demands the business change its name and its owner issue an apology for its "blasphemous" branding. On top of the name "Sweet Jesus," the chain also alludes to elements of Christianity in a few of its ice cream flavors, like "Red Rapture" and "Sweet Baby Jesus."

"They are calling our Lord a flavor of ice cream. They are making a mockery of Christian symbols. They are abusing Biblical texts," the petition reads in part.
    I mean, they're not wrong; though, "I'd like a Sweet Baby Jesus with sprinkles" does make my pagan heart flutter.

They're lucky they're only getting hit with a petition and a boycott. If they pulled someone similar with Muslims, it would probably end differently.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I prefer the beer:

[​IMG]

CD Boogie likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

Not a big fan of porters, but I might make an exception for one brewed with KitKat.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I've sort of had it with organized religion, I guess. Too many people trying to force their own brands on others.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Isn't it pronounced Sweet Jay-sus?

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Jesus is also a name.
    In fact, toyed with that name for our twins. Name both Jesus, but pronounce one as Hispanic and one as Anglo.
    Spouse did not like that idea, though.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

How similar is this to the outrage over drawing a cartoon of Mohammed?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

One leads to complaints and the other leads to a bombing.

9. CD Boogie

In my mind, they're equally inane. Except I doubt armed Christians are gonna mow down people at the headquarters of "Sweet Jesus."

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /approves

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yeah that was my thinking, as well. I think I was wondering how much of an overlap there is between the people who don't think drawing Mohammed is a big deal but think this is outrageous. I dunno, I may be reaching for a YF-level hypocrisy here.

But I'd definitely eat some Sweet Jesus ice cream

12. CD Boogie

I'm spending this weekend in Baltimore and I'm sure as hell gonna track down that one U.S. parlor. I mean, they didn't go full blasphemy and name it "Holy fuck," but with a name like "Sweet Jesus," it has to be good.

Draft saved Draft deleted