1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘The Dubs’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's jarring in a cutline, as opposed to a headline.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The 'Dubs thing started as Dub Nation - short for Warrior Nation. I'm kind of tired of the "Nation" thing as well.
    I didn't realize that the A's didn't formally add the apostrophe "s" until they got to Oakland.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

In my previous gig with a centralized desk operation, one of the papers had sports reporters who repeatedly used "gridders," "tilt" (instead of game), "charity stripe/charity tosses" (for free throws,) "stanza" (for quarter/period) "caroms" (for rebounds) and runs "plated" instead of scored in baseball and softball. Their editor's defense was, "That's the way we've always done it." I do have to give the paper credit for one thing -- it covered high school bowling but refrained from using "keglers."

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Love me some "harriers."

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is so awful.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And thinclads.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And in a bow to the computer era and how it drives the local economy, there are Sharls Bytes.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

‘THE BUMS’

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just finished reading 538's American League preview (conventional baseball wisdom, but with numbers!) and it used a great many of the anachronistic baseball sportswriting terms that drive Buck around the bend.
    PS: It didn't call the Indians "the Tribe," however.

10. Dick Whitman

You always pooh-pooh sabermetrics, but the fact is that before sabermetrics, teams used to do asinine things like shell out millions of dollars because Kent Bottenfield won 18 games. "Conventional baseball wisdom," circa 1990, would win you about 65 games in 2018 with the Cubs or Dodgers payroll.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with sabermetrics, just the article in question. Its forecasts could've been made by Murray Chass or any other old line sportswriter (Red Sox, Yanks. Astros and Indians to be good this year. Orioles, White Sox and Rays to be bad). Expressing this in terms of models or formulas doesn't make it any different. Having written a good many in my time, I have concluded there is really no way to make a preseason preview anything but a reflection of conventional wisdom. There is no statistical analysis known to man that could lead a sane person to conclude the Tigers will win the pennant. Preseason forecasts are useless, but readers love 'em and always have.

12. Dick Whitman

This is going to be a weird season, because the six division winners seem locked in, for the most part. The wild card races will be fun, I suppose, but for the Cubs, Dodgers, Astros, and a few others, it is a 162-game minefield in which they are just trying to get through healthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted