1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘The Dubs’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And don't forget ... Buccos!

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

The G-Men say hello.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Phillie flips. Yankee doodles. I want to say either Braves or Indians had something with "Wigwam" (wigwam wisps?), but I can't recall for sure. Can't believe I've forgotten so many. Seems like just the kind of useless information that typically sticks to my brain.

I'm fine with it when the team itself incorporates it. A's were quite the swingin' bunch in the 70s.

[​IMG]

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When the Blue Jays were born in 1977, Labatt, which owned the team, hoped the fans and media would refer to the team as the Blues, since that was and still is their biggest brand of beer, but it was Jays from the start. The Maple Leafs are often referred to as the Leafs, occasionally as the "Buds" in the paper or on TV or radio. To the extent that anyone pays attention to the Toronto Argonauts, they are often called the "Boatmen" and Toronto FC are often called the "Reds" for the colour of their jersey.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Eagles have been the Birds in occasional Philly headlines since when I learned to read.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

See, I didn’t realize the Warriors were actually widely called the “Dubs” when I started the thread. That certainly alters the calculus.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I hate it when the NY tabs call the Giants the "Jints."

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or if they do exist, they're not crusty.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure they are, Dick. It's a new abbreviation not quite yet in common usage except on ESPN. But I think the point others were making is that such abbreviations and shorter alternate team nicknames are as old as sports. I wonder who was the first copy editor to change Red or White Stockings to Red or White Sox in a headline, and if they worked in Chicago or Boston.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That apostrophe gotta go.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

One of the odder ones was the American League washington team. The used senators and nationals almost interchangeably for about 50 years. There is even a World Series program where it used both names.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In the Bay Area they are widely called the 'Dubs.'
    Goes back at least 10-20 years that I know of.

That said, just because something works when spoken doesn't mean it works in print.
    See also, three-nil or three-all.

Draft saved Draft deleted