1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

‘The Dubs’

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Ha! Like I said, most, not all

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Roy Dubs was the point guard on my high school team. Fair ballhandler, no offensive threat.

That's all I got.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Used “Vikes” in a headline once. Copy desk came back and said, “No. Just no.”

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

We're on the third page and no one has brought up the "Wahoo Warriors" or "Fighting Braves of the Cuyahoga." Sad.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

And Dubs got elected.
    Heck of a job, Georgie. :cool:

6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Used to be banned in all three South Florida newspapers, but it occasionally made its way into the Herald and Sun Sentinel in recent years.

Also irritating is the use of "Fish." Bad to use it for the Marlins, but at least it's scientifically accurate. It's also used on occasion for the Dolphins, but the dolphin on the helmet and logo is the mammal version and not a mahi-mahi.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Fins, Fish, Dolfans ... All are alive and living well again, for years now, in the truncated pages of the Miami Herald.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The terrible thing is that we are doomed to generations of sportswriters who no longer have a crusty copy editor chewing their ass for writing like they hear the folks on SportsCenter talk. We don't have any crusty copy editors left, and even if they do exist they are probably a time zone away.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At one stop, a sports guy used ARod in a subhed on an Australian Open story. I knew he meant Andy Roddick, but kicked it back to him, telling him Alex Rodriguez wasn't entered.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I hate the nicknames for nicknames, but what are you going to do when you try to call Gonzaga the Bulldogs and they show up with Zags on their uniforms?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The Os

the As

and the Bucs

won't know what to think.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It kind of hacked me off as an A's fan when the Mariners and Orioles started doing that "M's" and "O's" thing. The odd thing is - with the Internet, there is no excuse for shortening a team name, just add a line to the hed.

I miss those Sporting News "notes" titles. "Mariners' Log," "Gi-Antics," "Halo Happenings".....anyone got any more?

Draft saved Draft deleted