1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps Under Attack

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Mar 11, 2018.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Another problem is recirculation. Whoever reads a East High gamer in all likelihood isn’t sticking around to read the West High gamer, or the South High gamer, etc. They’re probably going straight off the site afterward.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I agree with so much of this.

You can have 10 broadsheet pages of high school coverage, but will still hear cries of "you don't cover high schools!" if you aren't covering the exact game/team that mommy and daddy care about.

How much money are you willing to throw at it to make it profitable and keep everybody happy?

As The Crow Flies likes this.
  3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

What evidence is there for this assertion? I'd love for you to be right but, if prep coverage really did make money and drive subscriptions, it wouldn't be getting cut, right?

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Bergen Record has a bunch of weekly sister papers, I think, which I would guess help.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Exactly. What has happened is the owners at headquarters have ordered cuts in the newsroom. The local editors don't/can't exempt sports. The suits at headquarters say, you need to cut basically 3 bodies to make this round of cuts work. You have 2 prep writers. One for sure gets axed, probably both. Why? Somebody's got to go and the local decision makers realize the suits in the main office will agree whole heartedly that the preps beat is not needed. Why?? Because the main office suits are not journalists. They have no idea that cutting preps is one of the reasons circulation has dropped dropped dropped. ALONG WITH HORRIBLE sales people, the dregs of the sales business and horrible delivery and rude circulation people. See, for years even when newspapers were successful, the newsroom always got crapped on while the important people, the ad sales people, circ delivery people were off limits to criticism/firings. As a result you have a bunch of competent out of work newsroom people (ones who gladly work 70 and get paid for 40) and are left with managers and HORRIBLE sales people. I mean if you were in sales would you want to work for a newspaper? Trust Fredrick on this.

Doom and gloom likes this.
  6. Fredrick

Do you know the kind of people making the decisions nowadays?

7. Fredrick

Excellent post. Excellent.
    The suits yawn however. They're too busy trying to sell the property -- one of the only ways to get the CEO his/her bonus. Sell the current building. Cut staff.

Doom and gloom likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

On the bright side - you're not costing anybody's kid a scholarship.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Without giving away too much info, high schools sold more subscriptions than any other part of the sports sections.

10. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

This is my feeling as well. I am sports editor of my hometown paper. Even I take only a passing interest in high school stuff around here, and our page view measurements show that readers feel the same way. We're home to a major Division I university, and every tidbit we do them gets a ton of views. Hard for me to fault the suits for deciding that's where our resources should go.

That said, I do think it sucks for kids not to have the experience we had of cutting out our pictures and mentions. I wonder how many kids even have scrapbooks anymore.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

maybe, but the articles in those weekly papers are rarely featured in the Record. wrote a couple articles for one of those weeklies way back. still know someone at one of them, could check, but pretty sure they're kind of on their own. way back it was a good place to start and move up to the Record or the Herald. don't think that happens too much anymore. in Sussex Cty, the North Jersey Herald seems to feature articles every once in a while from their weeklies. but rarely see it in the Record. don't get the Record every day so maybe it's days when I don't buy it.I think the staff at the Record just hasn't been slashed as much as the Ledger. plus they cover a smaller more populated area. couple decades ago the Ledger tried to cover the whole state, pretty impossible for any paper. they didn't cover too much south Jersey, but just for example, on Sunday they would have agate for at least 30 maybe 40 wrestling matches/basketball games, now it's rarely over 10.

12. ChickenDinner

ChickenDinner New Member

Someone here should start a publication that focuses just on preps. Report back when you have to shut it down in a few months.

Draft saved Draft deleted