1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Toys R Us?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 10, 2018.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At least in the U.S.

Toys ‘R’ Us Is Prepping to Liquidate Its U.S. Operations

The toy chain’s U.S. division entered bankruptcy in September, planning to emerge with a leaner business model and more manageable debt. A new $3.1 billion loan was obtained to keep the stores open during the turnaround effort, but results worsened more than expected during the holidays, casting doubt on the chain’s viability.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

This feels like a db, but I'm too lazy to look.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was a bankruptcy discussion a few months back and some 118 or so store closings.

This is about the whole company going kaput.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

How long is it that we're down to just Walmart and Amazon selling us shit from China?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm out of the toy buying market. Where do people buy that stuff now? The Targets etc. don't seem to have a great selection.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hobby Lobby has the Estes rockets I was crazy about as a kid.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Almost exclusively online.

We routinely go into Toys R Us for ideas and then shop at home. It’s the Best Buy of the kid world.

8. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Analysts say that if Toys R Us goes under, the entire toy industry will suffer a 10-15% loss (in other words, 85% of TRU business will just move to Wal-Mart / Target / Amazon, but not all of it will). I wonder if Mattel or Hasbro will try to buy the company themselves.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How many toys are purchased solely to shut some kid up?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A Toys-R-Us liquidation sale will make Black Friday look like a walk in the park.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Where oh where will people sign up to get other people to buy them baby stuff? (I know some Babies R' Us are stand alone, but many aren't.)

I wonder how much the registry business has changed in the last 5-10 years. I would assume Bed Bath and Beyond would fold up in about a day and a half if suddenly no one ever again registered for a wedding. I would have thought that was a good business for Babies R' Us, too, but maybe not good enough.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I suppose at some point we all have to grow up.

Draft saved Draft deleted