1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Awful ledes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Feb 28, 2018.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I posted this on the dog thread, and it inspired me to start this thread. Feel free to add some all-time bad ledes or new ones.

Barbra Streisand had her dog cloned — twice — and PETA isn't happy about it

I can't get over how dumb the idea of Barbra Streisand, cloning trailblazer is.

Barbra Streisand has been blazing trails in Hollywood for half a century, and she appears to be doing the same in the world of animal cloning.

QYFW likes this.
  2. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Anything holiday related.

gravehunter likes this.
  3. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

"It's that time of year again."

No Shit!!! Every time of the year is that time of year again.

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What a difference a year makes.

5. MUTigers

MUTigers Member

It was a tale of two halves.

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I totally did a turkey will taste better after a win lede at every Thanksgiving football game I ever covered. I regret nothing. The mistakes I made as a youngster molded me into the man I am today.

FileNotFound, QYFW and PaperClip529 like this.
  7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Weather related, too.

"It may have been a subzero January night, but inside the gym Johnny Jumpsot was red hot."

8. stix

stix Well-Known Member

With all this said, if you do this long enough, there are only so many ways you can write these things. Especially when you have 30 minutes to file.

We're all guilty of bad ledes, I'm sure.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Barbra Streisand has always been a nose ahead of others, so it should come as no surprise she’s nosed ahead in the world of animal cloning.

10. busch

busch Member

Senior Day/Night ledes. Been guilty of this one (probably more than once): "On Senior Night, it was freshman Daffy McDingleduck stealing the spotlight." Pretty cliché.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Christmas came early...ugh.

It's that time of year again isn't really a journo staple, but when I hear it on ads or PSA it's like nails on a chalkboard. Does anyone really think people have been waiting with bated breath for the annual local charities event?

Fun fact: the term "bated breath?" Originated with Shakespeare in Merchant of Venice.

My favorite lede of my own was a storm damage follow up and I had "as workers tied the yellow safety ribbon around the old oak tree..."

bpoindexter likes this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It won't last, though. He sounds like a drinker.

Draft saved Draft deleted