1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't sweet talk me, whitey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Feb 12, 2018.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You mostly agree when one or the other is on the firing line.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As a guy I think around your age, I would hesitate to go up and talk to her for the "old guy is making his move on attractive young woman, with a lame intro"

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Now, before I bring out my first guest, I just want to say that February is Black History Month. Isn't that nice? The Man gives us February because it's the shortest month of the year! Now, I'm not complaining, but I think we deserve at least a thirty-day month. It's also the coldest month of the year, just in case we wanted to have a parade.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not that this thread is illustrative of any of this, but I do think some of the seemingly innocuous “bumbling” behavior you mention is a symptom of a subconscious, subtle racism that’s simply a product of our time and place and is much more prevalent than the overt stuff that gets the most attention.

The idea that you were hesitant to engage this woman in conversation shows just how much racial tension still exists in this country, on all sides. That’s why I scoff when I hear people say we’re in a “post-racial society.”

Iron_chet likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

I'm not about to say we're in a post-racial society. But I certainly believe that going around pointing at things and saying "THAT'S RACIST!" isn't how to fix it.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone would confuse "I'd really like my daughter to go to school there" as a pickup line.

poindexter likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People said the BPD tweet was tone deaf.

And it was. Hilariously so.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No one would confuse it as a good pickup line.

9. jr/shotglass

You edited that.

I guess my question then would be, what was advanced by pouncing on it? How does the point-and-snicker serve the public good here?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes. Certainly. Is it "racist" to commit a tone-deaf-a-dillo?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It’s funny.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's disarming, which is the key.

A pick up line will get dismissed, and end the conversation.

A mention of your daughter gets a conversation rolling, allowing the distinguished older gentleman to showcase his wit, and other charms, that the beautiful younger woman might be attracted to, but that wouldn't be obvious at first glance.

It's the play.

Draft saved Draft deleted