1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

He's coming for the guns, and hell's coming with him!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BDC99, Dec 31, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So your anecdotes are better?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Sick burn!

3. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

A few years ago in my tiny rural hometown, two guys broke into a house at night. Started beating up the husband, asking where he stashed his money, etc. Wife said she'd take them to the jewelry if they stopped beating him, so they tied him up.

While she was upstairs with the robbers, the husband got free. He was a retired Sheriff's deputy. Went and got one of his handguns. Only one of the invaders made it out alive, and I think the other was wounded.

But here's where the gun advocates lose me every time. Banning weapons like the AR-15, or requiring extensive background checks even at gun shows, or any other common sense gun control measures supported by a majority of our citizens in no way prevents the scenario above. It's the all-or-nothing zealotry that I simply cannot reconcile, either logically or against the written word of the constitution.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I get where you're coming from, but I think part of the all-or-nothing zealotry comes from the way a lot of gun laws have been written. Some of them are very broad in what they classify as assault weapons, for example. Under some definitions, a 9mm handgun that's very popular for home defense could probably be considered a semi-automatic assault weapon. So the zealots dig in, afraid that allowing anti-gun groups -- who, make no mistake, are just as zealous in their quest to eliminate guns as groups like the NRA are to keep them -- to define what is and isn't a restricted class of weapon could effectively ban many, if not all, weapons.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just don't understand the opposition to expanded background checks. If you're a stable, law-abiding citizen, you'll pass the background check and get whatever gun you want.
    I've heard some people complain about people with domestic violence convictions not being able to own guns. Well, maybe they should have thought about that before they hit their wife. How is that anything other than common sense?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gun rights activists are such absolutists.

Why can't they embrace "common sense" restrictions the way free speech and/or abortion rights advocates do?

justgladtobehere and Lugnuts like this.
  7. Smallpotatoes

There already are "common sense" restrictions on free speech. Several states have passed laws restricting abortion.

You're just deflecting because you cannot defend someone convicted of domestic violence being allowed to own a gun.

8. Human_Paraquat

There are common sense restrictions on free speech and abortion. You're proving my point.

9. Human_Paraquat

A fair point, which is why, ideally, the laws would not be decided by the lunatic fringe and could be tweaked based on compromise within the sensible middle.

But when the gun lobbies holds lawmakers hostage (or lawmakers allow it to happen, perhaps) it's hard to find that sensible middle. (I concur it's difficult to find it these days on other issues, as well.

Batman likes this.
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Truth gonna hurt even worse in November.

11. Smallpotatoes

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted