1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston Herald pulls Ron Borges column on Tom Brady

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

As morbid as it sounds, I have a short list of people who, if they happen to die in some accidental way like a car crash or drowning, I’d just shrug my shoulders. Dave Portnoy is on that list. Kirk Minnihane is getting there.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I still find myself enjoying some things Portnoy and barstool do, but something seems broken in him like something was broken in Daulerio. Karma is not going to be kind when it finally pays a visit.

LongTimeListener and Gator like this.
  3. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Not surprisingly, the blogosphere had a heyday with this - for about a day.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What if they died in a fire?

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Re: your moral - sad, true.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's a rare story that has no one to root for in it.

This is one of those.

Old Time Hockey and QYFW like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This thing kind of exposes how the sausage is made, and it is pretty sad.

8. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I come not to defend Ron Borges. Believe me.

But in looking at the first instance of his “plagiarism” -- passing off Mike Sando's work as his own -- I will point out this: From what I've read, at least there was a tagline that acknowledged "Material from personal interviews, wire services, other beat writers, and league and team sources was used in this report." Sharing notes among beat writers was common back then, right?

Of course Borges was not smart about however he passed off whatever he passed off as his own. In my days on the desk at a major metro, though, I have seen examples of behavior that were at least as egregious. Borges' act with Sando's work was just dumb - elementary-school, forehead-smacking stupid. What I've seen in person was more calculated, more devious ... and thus more indefensible.

Maybe I'm saying this because I recall Borges' column in the wake of the Tuck Rule as one of the strongest columns I've read, and he had a great column on a big boxing match between pugilists whose names I don't recall. Maybe I have a soft spot for his work. But I've also heard that Borges puts the "p" in prick.

This latest thing just blows the mind, but I thought I'd mention the above.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Arson or accidental?

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The sale hasn't been approved by the court. Other bidders have come forward since the bankruptcy was announced and the sale is this week.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This refers to the proposed sale of the Herald. I erroneously posted the sale had been finalized. As JGTB correctly pointed out other bidders have emerged. Gatehouse has bid five million. While it seems other bidders may be out there the only bidder who has been identified is Revolution Capital, who is reported to have bid 5.75 million. Revolution Capital has experience in the publishing industry, having until recently owned the Tampa Tribune.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Sounds more like Revolution Capital has experience in the liquidation industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted