1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

it's 'national autism week'...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Antagonism from schools toward parents has been on the rise for years and neurodivergent kids are often the flashpoint.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And there's the mindset that worries me, BYH ... "mind your own business."

I'm sure there have been thousands of instances in which a child was harmed because people "minded their own business."

Is it degrading for the parents? Yes. I'm still hard-pressed to put that above the alternative.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Penn State.

JakeandElwood likes this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Penn State brings me back to people having a really bad idea of how to protect kids. I’m hopeful that between that and Nassar, people are starting to understand what a predator looks like.

They aren’t pulling up in vans, grabbing random kids they’ve never met. They aren’t combing through strangers’ social media looking for personal information on kids they don’t know. Stranger attacks on children are rarer than lightning strikes. Predators generally prefer to position themselves into situations where they have access to children they know well, with authority over them. But many parents will spend all their energy worried about strangers swooping in but never teach their kids age-appropriate ways of understanding that there are lines no adult is allowed to cross and how to react if one does.

If people had a better grasp of what abuse and neglect looked like, we could encourage people to call if they’re concerned without having to worry about frivolous reports.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

We're not really preaching hyper-cautiousness with a messy-haired kid b/c Joe Paterno gladly let a pedophile work as his assistant coach for decades, are we?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought that was just shottie putting the ball on a tee and QYFY whacking it.

QYFW likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Shit. You're probably right.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's usually the case. Things would have gone a lot more smoothly around here if you had realized that years ago. :D

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The child welfare state systems in America are overloaded. Seams, coming apart.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I’m sure @CD Boogie has some interesting thoughts about this.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Nothing harder than parenting. Hope everyone here has a wonderful day.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the association I made there.

Grow up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.