1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I read in LAObserved that The Athletic is staffing up in SoCal, having hired Pedro Moura for baseball coverage. Moura is formally OCR and LAT. Very talented.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is part of what happens when you make reporters some of the editors and they just hire some of the people they already know.

Also: How many writers does The Undefeated employ who might otherwise be employed elsewhere?

I've written this before and I will again: Many smaller/mid-size media organizations want more diversity and just can't get much of it. 95 percent of the apps (or higher) are from white men in some of these job markets. These jobs do not generally pay well. Talented, qualified women and minorities often have options above and beyond mid-level because large news organizations and universities want their voices and want to give them opportunities, and make sure they do.

I have no objections to this practice, either. Nor do I object to bigger, snazzier outlets hiring women and minorities. They should do as they please.

But when they do that, they inevitably drain the talent pool for shops that form the vast majority of news outlets.

Here, for example, are the 2017 Washington Post interns:

THE WASHINGTON POST INTERNS 2017

27 total

19 women

2 white men

Here's 2016:

THE WASHINGTON POST INTERNS 2016

24 total

14 women

4 white men - 1 of whom is also a 2017 intern.

That's 64% women and 9.4% white men.

So the Washington Post is proactive in its diversity. Not all those folks end up there - in fact, most can't because there aren't enough jobs - but that internship on a line shows up real quick. It opens doors to jobs.

But it creates a vacuum at the bottom.

4. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Good to see you guys think race/gender is the most important quality people are looking for in new hires....

Can you write well? Doesn't matter, because all we need the hire to be is a person of color or a female! (and no, I'm not saying these people are automatically lesser quality writers than white males, but it seems like that qualification matters above the rest according to some)

If a white male is the most qualified applicant for the position, why should he be passed over for a minority not as qualified?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Not one person in this thread has said a person's race or gender should be the the most important quality in a new hire.

All some of us have done is question The Athletic's approach to hiring. When you don't have an open application process and you end up with a strikingly white newsroom, you open yourself up to criticism.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yeah, white males just can't catch a break.

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Sorry, I probably should have not said "you guys think." Is that better?

I never said white males can't catch a break. I just think outrage over a hire's race/gender is dumb. I'm not talking about just journalism here either. I've seen plenty of these comments made in politics and sports. I guess all employers who hire predominantly white males are just racists. A white man gets hired over a black man? Must've been because of race. That's the only possible reason. No minorities in the newsroom? A bunch of racists.

I don't vote for someone because they're white, but I've heard of plenty of people who vote for someone because they're female or a person of color. Not because of their qualifications, but because of their skin color/gender. That's the type of thing I'm talking about.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's not.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

ProJo EIC posted Red Sox beat writer Tim Britton is leaving for a spot with The Athletic covering the Mets, so there's a young guy for that staff.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I'd imagine younger folks are better at dealing with that chilly reception than you think. On a lot of beats, there's probably more distance than there once was. I'm only worried about that reception if I have good sources to piss of, and that's worth negotiations when it comes to that.

When I was a lead guy on a smaller beat (as a young, liberal millennial), I got that treatment once every few months, mostly because the coach was way oversensitive. My hope was to keep my powder dry, use that capital when it actually mattered. Instead I got the joy of calling the guy directly after a coaching search process that rankled him a great deal to ask how it felt to miss two jobs he was interested in and be stuck at a small program for another year (management was high on coaching search traffic and couched the desire for one more hit in "journalism"). As a young reporter, I probably deflected too much upward, saying the editors were asking for it, though that might have more to do with me than the average millennial.

One thing I wonder about is stories like the one you mentioned about firing a coach over clock management. Unsure if it's just my corner of the internet and world, but it seems a lot of older writers want to write that shoot from the hip-type thing and younger writers might lean more toward nuance. That case is certainly not nuanced (you've said yourself someone like Barnwell understates the difficulty of clock management), so I hope writers young and old can put the care into writing the "unpopular" pieces.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, that's my layoff and thousands of others summed up in a nice, neat bow.

But I guess it's good to have someone spread the first layer of white liberal guilt.

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

App still needs some work if they’re really trying to replace the newspaper sports section. For starters, so far as I can tell, there’s no way to check box scores except for the teams you follow, a universe that is itself limited by the teams it covers? Kind of annoying. Of course I can also check that sort of stuff on ESPN, but it’d be nice to have an all-in-one solution—especially since their co-founders say they want us to make us “Fall in Love With The Sports Page Again.”*

(*Although I’m not quite I’ve fallen out of love with the printed paper—nothing I know of replicates the efficiency of the baseball agate page, setting aside that nowadays the paper is printed without half the scores.)

Draft saved Draft deleted