1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joining

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jim Jenkins, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
?

How big is this organization?

1. Large

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Diverse

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jim Jenkins

Jim Jenkins New Member

Background: 17 years editor/writer with Sacramento Union, 30 years editor/writer with Sacramento Bee, primarily sports coverage. Do small amount of free-lance writing in retirement, which was 2008, also retained as correspondent for Sacramento Bee. Still reside in Sacramento, CA., where main gig now is doing voluntary work at hospital information desk.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You left out a third choice:

3) Populated with morans.

Welcome aboard. You are about to be deluged with replies that make little sense.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I bet as a longtime editor he knows how to spell “moron.”

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Are you and/or Donovan Carona sock puppets? Both of you just put that you're joining at the same time.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of my best sportswriting memories comes from Sacto ...

The school I covered made it to the NorCal state regional for juco baseball. It was one of the stronger juco baseball programs in the state with one of those all-timer coaches who finished with 600+ wins.

They lost Game 1 to conference rival Fresno CC -- not just lose but humiliate themselves in a 26-7 defeat -- so now they're a loss away from 2 and a 'que.

They came back the next day and beat American River to stay alive. Then they beat (I forget) to stay alive some more.

If memories serves, they won again Sunday morning and made it to the championship game against ... Fresno CC.

Much better game, nail-biter till the end but Fresno held on to reach the state tournament.

I traveled with the team. The ride back was somber at first then turned festive. They had a great season, and a great 2-year run.

So much talent those 2 season. One of them, a Canadian with a gorgeous swing, had a cup of coffee with the Mariners.

Anyway, while checking into the hotel in Sacto upon arrival, I met Kurt Rambis in the lobby, which seemed so random and yet awesome.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Spent a few weeks in Sacramento learning a new pagination system about 15 years ago. Loved, loved, loved Old Sac.

Welcome aboard.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Former Sac City baseball manager Jerry Weinstein was my high school coach in 1970. He is still at it and managed Team Israel in the WBC last spring.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hmmm . . . . 17 . . . 30 . . . 10. This may be the oldest poster in sj.com history.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I am, of course, as a meme connoisseur, referring to the famous:

[​IMG]

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have to go to Sacramento next week for an event.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I once spent the night in Sacramento. I didn't get my ass kicked.

Draft saved Draft deleted