1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter | Traverse City (MI) Record-Eagle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

The Traverse City Record-Eagle seeks a talented, well-rounded sports reporter to join our team covering a five-county region that boasts both outstanding high school athletes and world-class adventure sports enthusiasts.

Our ideal candidate has experience producing content on all platforms, excellent news judgment, drive to tell the big stories and the ability to quickly develop strong relationships with sources. Our newsroom emphasizes teamwork, values outside-the-box thinking and demands the ability to work under pressure.

The candidate we select will join a collaborative team of 19 dedicated journalists who produce a seven-day print paper (18,500 daily; 24,000 Sunday), a quarterly lifestyle magazine, and serve our strong online audience.

The Record-Eagle is consistently rated among the best newspapers of its size in the state by the Michigan Press Association and the Associated Press Media Editors, and has won numerous state, regional and national journalism awards.

Traverse City is located in a region of northern Michigan consistently recognized for its natural beauty, cultural offerings and quality of life.

Applicants should email a resume, links to work samples and a letter explaining why they want to live and work in northern Michigan to: Editor Nathan Payne at npayne@record-eagle.com.

2. mmowery23

mmowery23 New Member

Trying to decide if I can commute to Traverse City from where I live in Michigan ...

3. ss90

ss90 Member

Traverse City hosts an NHL prospect tournament every year. There are eight teams that usually participate by sending their best prospects for a week of round-robin play and a championship round. It's very popular among hard core hockey fans and a way to cover some of the sport's blue chip prospects before they arrive on the scene.

Something for people applying to consider.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Beautiful area. Yes, lots of snow, but summers are very nice. About what, 30000 population but it plays a lot bigger due to all the visitors during tourism months. And it's a good paper.

5. Zads07

Zads07 Member

I've interviewed here. Great experience, but I went with another job. Highly recommended area to live in if you like cold, snowy winters and warm summers at a tourist destination.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree with all of this ... but the usual caveat applies for areas with great outdoors recreation opportunities.

Bring your checkbook, and/or prepare to have four people splitting the rent of your apartment. Very expensive area to live.

steveu likes this.
  7. valpo87

valpo87 Member

Worse than the Seattle area?

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's expensive by Midwest/Michigan standards. And remember, pay tends to be less in flyover country compared to the coasts.

Not trying to discourage people ... I lived about an hour south of Traverse City in the early 2000s and it's a beautiful area of Michigan.

9. bevo

bevo Member

Get out of the industry and don't look back. Now work 8-5 M-F, get a yearly bonus, paid overtime when I want, 20 min commute, and, best of all, not a hint of the word LAYOFF in the past two years.

mmowery23 likes this.
  10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Love, love, love Traverse City. One of my favorite cities anywhere in the world. Thought about trying to get a job up there years ago. But as somebody said, it ain't a cheap place to live. And I'm not sure about the prospects tournament being there next year. I know they're moving the Red Wings development camp to Little Caesars Arena. Maybe they're keeping training camp and the prospects tournament in TC. World-class golf courses up there, too. Lots of skiing, fishing, etc. if you're into that. Winters can be brutal, though.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Whoever gets this gig will get to experience the fun and anxiety of driving down US-31 in lake effect snow

spikechiquet likes this.
  12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

And driving along the coastline in the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted