1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you do if you work for an idiot publisher?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NancyLou, Jan 24, 2018.

1. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

Exactly. I wish I'd listened better during the interviews. I'd have caught him in a lie. He did he wrote for his college paper. However, my college. Paper wouldn't allow anyone on the paper who wasn't carrying a major pertaining to it.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Have you thought of calling Harvard to confirm he does have a degree from there?

3. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

He's got the diploma hanging on his office wall. I think his biggest problem is he comes from money and he believes he's better than everyone. He also lived and worked in Manhattan for most of his adult life and feels those of us in Central Ohio are a bunch of under educated bump kind and philistines.

He has no respect at all for anyone.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe you might want to change your location in your above post, just in case he happens upon this thread.

You don't want to provide the nut job any extra reason to fire you.

5. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

6. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

He doesn't come on here. This is a place for real journalists and the fakes get caught pretty quickly.

He couldn't hold his own on here at all.

7. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Wow.

I've worked under 2 publishers. The current one I'm actually quite fond of. He's made some tough personnel calls, but he's pretty open about budgets and what the company is trying to accomplish. I see him around the office just about every day.

The other guy I probably saw once or twice a year. He was utterly clueless. Did a lot of damage that the current guy has to deal with.

But, man, NOTHING like the guy you're working under. Not to mention, as ME you're dealing with him constantly, I'm sure. I agree, let him run his awful editorials. Just consult your lawyers, keep written documents saying you strongly advised against it, make sure his name is on the editorials and let him ruin himself.

NancyLou likes this.
  8. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

And his bete noir law was passed locally last night so now I get to listen to him rant on that for months and tell me to do this story or that story so his angst can be shed in a public forum in an area that will judge us harshly.

I need a new job.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The eyewitness accounts are really disturbing. And they actually gave their names, so Block can’t claim they’re hiding behind anonymity.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Any updates on this? Did you resign? I see no way you can print that stuff he wants printed unless it's under his byline and an editors note saying you disagree as ME.

Draft saved Draft deleted