1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Staggering. The judge should not only give Nasser the maximum penalty allowed (bet the mortgage on that) but should also require these testimonials to be played on a loop in his cell until his final day.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

190. But nobody else knew nuthin.

WriteThinking and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is what I don't get about this whole case. He was a behind-the-scenes team DOCTOR -- not a coach, not a judge, not anybody who couldn't have been stopped, replaced, changed, charged, etc. without it making much difference to anybody, or their careers. It isn't like with Penn State, Paterno, or even Weinstein, where, certainly, there may have been power dynamics with relation to the victims' big dreams that could have come into play.

How, really, did this guy get away with this, within a USA Olympic organization, with young, but-not-THAT-young people involved, with nobody saying anything, for so long?

4. playthrough

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Timing also matters. The Penn State scandal broke in the middle of college football season. Penn State was facing these momentous decisions, on the fly, with a game facing them in just a few short days and with Paterno still coaching. You don't have those kind of engines driving the Nassar story. Not that kind of, "What happens next?"

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. WriteThinking

I agree with this. It's what I actually thought as I put up my previous post -- that this case seems more akin to the Catholic Church cases than Penn State, with the cloistered-ness of it.

It's the only explanation that makes any sense. Otherwise, where were the parents, the coaches, anyone who would have known right from wrong, in all of this?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  7. playthrough

All those gold medals blinded everyone. You went to the Karolyi camp, Nasser was your doc, you made the team, you won medals and everything that goes with them. No one dared upset that apple cart for a long time. And USA Gymnastics is a monopoly, it's not like you can qualify for the Games through another organization, so the USA team doctor becomes your guy, like it or not. And "his athletes" won piles of gold, so rinse and repeat.

Sooner or later the money trail will be dug into too. Surely the companies who are/were the "Proud Sponsor of USA Gymnastics" will sue and/or stop writing checks. When all this is said and done, USA Gymnastics won't have enough money in the bank to buy office coffee.

8. WriteThinking

I see what you're saying, and think you're right as far as it goes. But that it went this far, with a doctor that no one would know or care about otherwise, is almost unbelievable. It's sheer, almost unforgivable cloistered-ness. The more I think about this, that Karolyi connection is the key and also what could push this case up to the Penn State/Paterno level as far as coverage/reaction and traction. I'd say the Karolyis in gymnastics are at least on the level of Paterno in football, and with the same sort of regard involved, too.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

In retrospect, it seems obvious that the Karolyis brought some of the worst of the old Soviet-bloc training practices along with their coaching skills. They produced winning gymnasts, but the verbal abuse and browbeating that accompanied it were pretty bad on their own. When you add Nasser into the mix it becomes a poisonous stew of abuse.

At least four institutional entities knew of these reports regarding Nasser, and none of them communicated with the others to say "We've got these reports, has anything similar happened with you?". There was an intentional averting of the eyes here, and heads need to roll over it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. playthrough

It's tough to say "he was just the doctor" because every accomplished gymnast's body is beat up all to hell at all times and that makes the doctor just as important as the coach. So you've got a guy who is viewed as a genius doctor, with decades on the job so all the adults trust-slash-enable him, and at the end of the day his athletes were great. That builds a big wall of silence.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'm not a big death-penalty guy, but I certainly hope the state of Michigan isn't wasting a penny on a suicide watch for this sumbitch.

Iron_chet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted