1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cape Town to become 1st major city to run out of water

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 21, 2018.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let me go back far enough in time, I can prove that every city in the world is growing at an infinite-percentage rate.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn't know that Las Vegas officials are paying residents to rip up their front yards. I've always wanted a worry-free desert yard. Even in Indiana.

I Should Coco, Huggy and YankeeFan like this.
  5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

New *lengthy* message from the premier of the Western Cape on preparations.

From the Inside: The Countdown to Day Zero | Daily Maverick

I'm looking forward to learning about the skottel en waslap method...

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pics or GTFO.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Plano proves that point ;)

doctorquant likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I hope that's not the shower and buttslap Nittany Lion method.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Waslap ... slap ... slapping sound.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Urban planning has always fascinated me. I've thought about going back to study it.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The cost of desalination is steep. But if that’s the final option remaining before people die, it’s a cost that has to be paid.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I didn't like it, but it might have been my program. I specialized in design (I wanted to be an architect but couldn't draw well enough) and really loved that aspect of things. But the bureaucracy of planning, and the imperfection of it—so much of a city is built on compromise—was incredibly tedious, and I don't think I'm enough of a team player to function well in that kind of environment. It also requires a long-game kind of brain. Something like the failure in Cape Town: It can be challenging to work on something that you might not live to see pay off. Like, thank God that Andrew Jackson Downing and Frederick Law Olmsted thought Central Park was a good idea, but it's not like they got to see it the way it is today.

I will say: There were 25 students in my Masters program, and 24 of them work today in some aspect of city building, from writing building codes to building skyscrapers. It was a pretty direct path to a good job.

Draft saved Draft deleted