1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What I read is that there was a $100,000 fine built into the settlement if she spoke out against Nassar, but that USA Gymnastics is not going to enforce the fine. The settlement is with USA Gymnastics, not Nassar, right?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would agree with what's been written by several of you above. The Penn State story exploded because of Paterno – Leader of Men – was revealed to be little more than a by-the-books-I-did-what-was-legally-required-of-me coward. It was America's second biggest sport, and one of its most iconic names was a supposed paragon of virtue. It dug right at the very lie that is college athletics, that it's worth all the bullshit and all the hypocrisy because we're molding strong men, and Penn State was an example of what's good.

All that said, Michigan State should fucking burn. Even if you didn't know, you're fired. Because if you didn't know, you had bad people in your department you probably hired. The fact that one of their ideas of how to deal with this was to let Nasser continue working on female athletes but have someone in the room to make sure he didn't rape them with his fingers is fucking appalling.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I saw where Chrissy Teigen, Kristen Bell and Mike Schur have offered to pay the fine if she breaks the agreement.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They just said a day or two ago that they weren't going to seek any money back.

Legalisms aside, they really would look worse if they did.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It really should be Michigan State scorn versus Catholic Church scorn.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Well, good for her. Deserves every penny.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For the most part, an NDA does not prevent someone from testifying, especially if they are testifying under subpoena. (Not the case here, I know. It's voluntary.) If you told a court that you couldn't testify because you signed an NDA, the court is going to explain to you that you can testify or you can go to jail, which do you choose?

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tough to see how that coach doesn't end up on trial too. There's just so many victims.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Except for the occasional athletic performance or massacre, the individual Olympics are fairly forgettable and are among the sleaziest and most corrupt of facially legal entities in the last 200 years.
    From the IOC to the National Olympic Committees, to the individual athletic organizing bodies to the training programs, everything stinks on ice.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

play, I think there's going to be a laundry list of defendants before this one's history.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not just gymnastics. Didn't we have a similar scandal in swimming within the last few years?

EDIT for link after seeing Dick Whitman's post.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...re-usoc-sexual-abuse-usa-gymnastics/99878698/

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty weird to see such a huge scandal stretching across multiple sports at a major university -- with football and men's basketball nowhere near it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted