1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He can't handle it? Man, that's rich.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

From Rodger Sherman's story in The Ringer:

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Larry Nassar is an astonishing monster who used his title and reputation to pretend that his sexual abuse was actually some sort of medical practice. Parents were in the room at times when he abused these girls. I could make the argument that he's worse than Sandusky, really, to the extent there are degrees among such hideous men; Nassar reminds me of the Dr. Miranda character from Death and the Maiden.

Nassar's case is simultaneously competing with a president who's absolutely an awful human being and every other MeToo case out there. Aziz Ansari is a bigger story than Larry Nassar. Shouldn't be, but it is.

When Sandusky broke, in early November 2011, no election, it immediately shifted to Paterno, the legendary coach. And for whatever people thought of the Paterno connection to Sandusky - and I'm not apologist - Joe Paterno has a wider reputation as a villain than Larry Nassar. And that's kind of sad.

These gymnasts are some of the finest athletes in the world, and Simone Biles is one of best athletes of all time, anywhere, any day. And she was assaulted by a pedophile. It's a big story that's somehow been whiffed on by many news outlets. Only now is ESPN really getting it.

Wetzel, to his credit, has been more in depth.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

On the using it as some sort of medical practice issue I am flabbergasted that he got away with that for freaking decades. So many stories of doctors, trainers and other medical personnel saying, yep, that's a legit technique.

My wife is a physician (and one whose primary patients are now college students) and the little I know about what she goes through on a daily basis and her training and everything else that should not fly in any way. She personally would stop being a doctor before she'd respond to someone that this was legitimate way of practicing medicine, and that's stating it very lightly. I mean, women and girls were talking about back pain or hamstrings but we need to get privates involved? How in the world do people get away with stuff for so long and educated people in position of trust and power let them? I can't wrap my head around it.

The Detroit News story today said 12 more were abused after someone really, truly tried to take him down in 2014 and was basically ignored by authorities and they expect that that number is higher. I mean, just how?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That was 98.4 percent on Miami.

[​IMG]

7. jr/shotglass

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am just stepping back. Women's gymnastics, the frigging crown jewel of the Summer Olympics - this guy sexually assaulted practically every one of Team USA! With cover everywhere he needed it.

MSU and USA gymnastics should be blown to smithereens! It is crazy how this is practically flown under the radar.

Iron_chet and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I must have been asleep when Miami made Penn State call it’s program “The Grand Experiment” and “Success with Honor” and then had Paterno say to a reporter who asked about retirement, “and leave college football to the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers of the world?”

Penn State represented to a lot of people the good in college football at that time as much as Miami represented what was bad.

wicked likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's why I said 98.4 percent. The other 1.6 percent was Penn State. They played the white knight, and everyone let them get away with it. Happened before, has happened since and will always happen.

But I don't remember too many "good vs. evil" stories from Oklahoma-Penn State the year before. It was Miami that got the media in a lather.

Slacker likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

Totally agree PSU set itself up for the blowback.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Miami's greatest sin was breaking the stranglehold that programs like Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Texas, Nebraska, Alabama, and USC had on the sport. Miami's greatest sin was not being a blue blood.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted