1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State scorn versus Michigan State scorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Very little discussion here about Dr. Larry Nassar.

Not just his widespread sexual assault on hundreds of girls, but the systemic cover up by Michigan State as well as USA Gymnastics. It seems like this should be the story of the year.
    Why does Michigan State Escape so much scorn? Is it because it is football vs gymnastics?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, football vs. gymnastics is part of it. But, also, there's no Joe Paterno involved in the Nassar story.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Think the ages of the victims plays a part here as well.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's not gay predator sex.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This should be a huge story.

Nassar deserves the electric chair and MSU is as guilty as the agents who sent actresses to Harvey Weinstein's suite

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, sadly.

Also, as Inky said, the lack of a high-profile figure aiding and abetting in his actions.

---

I'm glad that Raisman, Maroney, Biles and others are now coming forward. USA Gymnastics should be ashamed of itself.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I must say, I am happy to see him spend most of the week in that chair having to face his victims as they tell him what he did to their lives. If the man has an ounce of humanity, that will haunt him for the rest of his miserable life.

The daughter of one of my oldest friends plays field hockey at Michigan State. I'm wondering if he, and other athletes' families, are rethinking their choice.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It wasn't just that Paterno was high-profile. He and his supporters had cultivated this image of a coach and a program that did things the right way. They were the good guys with no names on their jerseys. Think of how their battle with Miami for the national title in the 1987 Fiesta Bowl was played in the media.

That certainly added to the Sandusky story, finding out they were passing themselves off as the good guys while Paterno covered for a pedophile added a layer of ugliness.

That said, Nassar should be a bigger story. It should be getting more attention.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Should be bigger, of course. It's because gymnastics isn't football and you don't have any iconic names like Paterno to hang this up with. Maybe if Simone Biles had come out earlier with her story it would have boosted this a little, but not into the PSU stratosphere. Because it was football and JoePa, it could lead SportsCenter and the national news.

That was a helluva takedown by Wetzel about the MSU president and board members not being able to show up for the victims' testimonials. What an abject disaster for Sparty.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Check out Wetzel's Twitter timeline. Nassar sent a letter to the judge whining that he doesn't think he can handle listening to the victim statements. Judge letting him have it.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think some of these stories are so awful, people don't follow them closely. The story about the parents who had the 13 kids chained up is one. I'm trying to avoid that story. It's just too much.

With this story, I know the very basics, but not much more. I would guess most people don't even know about an MSU connection, and only know him as the US Gymnastics doctor.

Draft saved Draft deleted