1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reds Beat Reporter | Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by zhbuchanan, Jan 10, 2018.

1. ss90

ss90 Member

I have decided to get out of the business and it's things like this that I will not miss. The obsequious behavior, shameless self-promotion and butt-kissing necessary to stand out from a crowd of people who all look and sound exactly like one another is -in a word- shameless. End of rant.

Lamar Green likes this.
  2. zhbuchanan

zhbuchanan New Member

Getting a job as a young reporter in this business is tough. I can't disrespect the hustle, even if it's transparent.

Potter and nubyjas_wilborn like this.
  3. ss90

ss90 Member

Agreed. But I decided in college I was not going to play that game. I felt that I could live with myself knowing I didn't get a job because I didn't kiss ass.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This website can be interesting. But if a sports editor is basing anything on posts here, he or she is in trouble.

Lamar Green and ss90 like this.
  5. ss90

ss90 Member

I'm sure they are flooded with candidates through Gannett's application website.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This would be one helluva gig. I would love to have an MLB beat, probably the one thing left in this business I'd kill to do. Just not the Reds. But, man, covering Boston, Chicago, N.Y., St. Louis or the Dodgers would be just about the greatest gig ever. Good luck to whomever they hire.

7. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

i didnt do it full time, but i had quite a deal when i was working in missouri for three years. i got to cover between 50-60 cardinals games a year (counting postseason). i would love to go back the area if the opportunity every arose.

8. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Similarly, the people who come on this board to declare they will be applying. Ex.: "Wow this is a big time gig, I know where I'll definitely be applying!"

9. ss90

ss90 Member

I have to say...when it comes to a lot of these jobs, if you're searching this board, you're not a candidate for it. The NY Times NBA reporter position posted here last summer ended up going to Marc Stein, who I very much doubt hangs out on this site. I suspect that the Enquirer's sports editor already knows who they are going to hire but is bound by company policy to list the job publicly.

10. bevo

bevo Member

It's Gannett. Next downturn in the economy and 1oo-plus newspapers probably go away.

11. Doc Holliday

I'm hereby officially envious of you.

12. Doc Holliday

Yeah, I noticed that in the ad, it being Gannett. And something along the same lines as your response crossed my mind. Not exactly something I'd want to be stepping into at my age.

Draft saved Draft deleted